Would receiving the 2020 #1 pick be a considered strategy?

justcompete

8 hours ago, weams said:

Sorry. You can't do that.  There is still a semblance of game integrity. The Orioles have an advantage with the awful Davis contract, as long as you hang on to him, no one can complain too much at the 50 million dollar payroll. That said, I expect to Orioles to lose 90 games. 

Of course you can.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'm not saying the Orioles will be good. I just think Toronto will be worse. I think the Orioles will play a NL style of ball and get away from the all or nothing approach. 

That's cool, I hope you're right.  If the Orioles are better, our youngsters are contributing.

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's cool, I hope you're right.  If the Orioles are better, our youngsters are contributing.

I really do think the Orioles will break 70 wins. If they finish with the worst record and get the #1 pick that's fine too. It's not about wins-losses for me this year. But the fan in me can't root for that to happen. I want our guy's to show they are capable of being major leaguers. I know they will struggle at times. I just don't want them to look totally overmatched.

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I really do think the Orioles will break 70 wins. If they finish with the worst record and get the #1 pick that's fine too. It's not about wins-losses for me this year. But the fan in me can't root for that to happen. I want our guy's to show they are capable of being major leaguers. I know they will struggle at times. I just don't want them to look totally overmatched.

I don't think they break 70 wins but it would be a pleasant surprise.

I also think you are correct, an NL style of ball would be much preferred. 

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really like what Brandon Hyde is saying. Seems like the right guy for the Orioles situation. Time will tell. I hope he develops into a WS winning manager. It will be fun to watch he and the youngsters grow together. 

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

I really like what Brandon Hyde is saying. Seems like the right guy for the Orioles situation. Time will tell. I hope he develops into a WS winning manager. It will be fun to watch he and the youngsters grow together. 

Agreed.  I hope he gets the chance to manage this team when the players develop and they're a winning caliber club.

46 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we will lose at least 100 games.    And not because Elias trades everyone good in August.   We just don’t have a lot of mature talent on this team.    The team underperformed the first four months last year, but the last two months we played to our (lack of) talent level.    And this team doesn’t really have more talent than we did in August/September. Nate Karns doesn’t move the needle.  We may play a little better with new management and analytics, better attitude etc., but not 30% better, which is what it would take to go from sub-.300 ball to .390 (which gets you under 100 losses).   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think we will lose at least 100 games.    And not because Elias trades everyone good in August.   We just don’t have a lot of mature talent on this team.    The team underperformed the first four months last year, but the last two months we played to our (lack of) talent level.    And this team doesn’t really have more talent than we did in August/September. Nate Karns doesn’t move the needle.  We may play a little better with new management and analytics, better attitude etc., but not 30% better, which is what it would take to go from sub-.300 ball to .390 (which gets you under 100 losses).   

That's an interesting way to look at it - 30% improvement.  I think when things get rolling and guys get called up, improved defense, better bullpen, better production from at least C and likely multiple other positions, we would likely be a much better team than the one that closed out 2018.  Not sure on the % and not sure how it shows up in the w-l record as I also expect we are a 100 loss team.

Archived