Manny: O's didn't show me any love

TonySoprano

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This I don't get. Sure he didn't run out a few grounders, but I really don't feel like Manny had a "persona" when he was in Baltimore. He was just sort of there. The bad guy reputation didn't start publicly until he was on the Dodgers then it just snow balled every time he opened his mouth. 

The Josh Donaldson incident. 

Him and Ventura 

The “dirty slide” with Boston (though I didnt Think it was) 

how many back swings to a catchers helmet and he didn’t care to check on the catcher. 

Ive said it many of times. If Manny wasn’t an Oriole for the start of his career we’d hate a player like him and talk about what a douche bag he is. 

Manny was a douche bag in Baltimore and it carried into his time with LA. Some view Manny as a god cause he can damn sure play baseball. Some of us call out how he acts and people think we are bitter. 

I’m not bitter and ok with Manny being out west. I’m calling a spade a spade. 

7 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This I don't get. Sure he didn't run out a few grounders, but I really don't feel like Manny had a "persona" when he was in Baltimore. He was just sort of there. The bad guy reputation didn't start publicly until he was on the Dodgers then it just snow balled every time he opened his mouth. 

Feeling you don't need to run out a groundball is a "persona" to me. Brian Roberts fell into that category for me. 

10 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am on board with you. Sad to say, he isnt the only one in baseball that didnt run out a few grounders.

I think some just want to hate the man, since he left town, and is now a "traitor".

Classic hindsight argument. It's easy to make a bullet list of things he did, but the reality is that no one in Baltimore (or outside of Baltimore) thought much of it until after he was on a national stage. Maybe he had a bad reputation among the players, but that's not what we're talking about. What I'd like to see is a post from some of these "I knew he was a douche all along" posters from 2-3 years ago that supports what their saying now. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Classic hindsight argument. It's easy to make a bullet list of things he did, but the reality is that no one in Baltimore (or outside of Baltimore) thought much of it until after he was on a national stage. Maybe he had a bad reputation among the players, but that's not what we're talking about. What I'd like to see is a post from some of these "I knew he was a douche all along" posters from 2-3 years ago that supports what their saying now. 

I've been calling him a Chad for years.  Does that count?

I also don't have a real issue with his antics.

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

*they're

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been calling him a Chad for years.  Does that count?

I also don't have a real issue with his antics.

I had to Google "chad". I think it might be my new favorite word. I can't wait until I come across someone actually named Chad so I can work his name into the conversation as often as possible. 

24 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Classic hindsight argument. It's easy to make a bullet list of things he did, but the reality is that no one in Baltimore (or outside of Baltimore) thought much of it until after he was on a national stage. Maybe he had a bad reputation among the players, but that's not what we're talking about. What I'd like to see is a post from some of these "I knew he was a douche all along" posters from 2-3 years ago that supports what their saying now

Are you kidding?? There were tons of arguments about this after every Manny misbehavior. Many of us complained about his behavior on the board and then there would be rounds of arguments about just how bad his behavior was, whether or not it was justified ( “my knee!”), etc. I enjoyed Manny the player and I enjoyed his interactions with Schoop and other teammates, but many of us openly disliked many of his actions and noted that he would be hated by Oriole fans if he did them while a Yankee or Red Sox. 

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Are you kidding?? There were tons of arguments about this after every Manny misbehavior. Many of us complained about his behavior on the board and then there would be rounds of arguments about just how bad his behavior was, whether or not it was justified ( “my knee!”), etc. I enjoyed Manny the player and I enjoyed his interactions with Schoop and other teammates, but many of us openly disliked many of his actions and noted that he would be hated by Oriole fans if he did them while a Yankee or Red Sox. 

This is certainly true....many, many game thread comments and other threads were made about Manny’s attitude.   I always just felt Manny was a kid who idolized Arod and he seemed to me to adopt a similar persona...great player, but at times the hustle, at times the dogging it, the styling, at times the sense of entitlement always seemed similar.   

Archived