Manny: O's didn't show me any love

TonySoprano

I'll miss him.

I'm willing to put up with some immaturity and bone-headed behavior if you're an all world talent.  I wrote this last year, he was a jerk but he was OUR jerk.  Guys like Pedroia, Papi...Sox fans loved them, we hated them because they were jerks.  But it felt good to have one of those guys on our team for once.  Sure, throw your bat at Donaldson, take a whole minute to trot around the bases.  Are you a 5+ win player?  Fine by me.  

It doesn't seem like his teammates didn't like him, so there's that, too.  There were never any "anonymous sources" saying how he was a diva, how he wasn't liked.  

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Aglets said:

May surprise a few people here by saying I think Manny kind of has a point here.

It was reported many times over that after like..........2014 or 2015 the Orioles never really contacted him or his agent.............EVER regarding an extension.

So if I'm clearly the best player on a team....... and the team doesn't make even a HALF-hearted attempt to extend me in my last 3 or 4 years there..........what am I supposed to think?   Clearly they don't really want me around long term.

And on the other side.........yeah the Orioles have a decent reason to not want to offer him a megadeal at this point.......but I think a lot of us wish we had done more to lock him up when it could have been done for far less.

I agree with this. We didn't make much of an effort to extend him and ultimately chose Davis instead.

AND this is more of a feel thing, but I don't feel like we ever really leveraged Machado's stardom that well. We kinda had the older guys (Jones, Wieters, Davis, Britton, Tillman, etc.) and Manny was the young guy. Almost like Kyrie and Lebron. 

I think it makes sense he feels how he feels. It's his time now to see what he can do as the superstar and leader of his team. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I split this from the Manny signs with Padres thread. 

Sounds like a guy who didn't want to sign withe Padres. He clearly doesn't live in reality if he doesn't understand why the Orioles traded him or tried to resign him.

I don't miss him. He needs to wake up and smell the coffee. O's couldn't have given him 300 million. 

21 minutes ago, Aglets said:

May surprise a few people here by saying I think Manny kind of has a point here.

It was reported many times over that after like..........2014 or 2015 the Orioles never really contacted him or his agent.............EVER regarding an extension.

So if I'm clearly the best player on a team....... and the team doesn't make even a HALF-hearted attempt to extend me in my last 3 or 4 years there..........what am I supposed to think?   Clearly they don't really want me around long term.

And on the other side.........yeah the Orioles have a decent reason to not want to offer him a megadeal at this point.......but I think a lot of us wish we had done more to lock him up when it could have been done for far less.

Agree.  I think two things are at play.  When Manny says Orioles, I hear it more meaning Duquette.  We've heard enough anecdotes about his communication style that it isn't a surprise to me he engendered this feeling in many players.  Second, the Davis contract - he was shown the love.

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Agree.  I think two things are at play.  When Manny says Orioles, I hear it more meaning Duquette.  We've heard enough anecdotes about his communication style that it isn't a surprise to me he engendered this feeling in many players.  Second, the Davis contract - he was shown the love.

Agreed.  I think this is what it's all about.  

12 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I'd like to hear Manny elaborate on what he means by, "The Orioles didn't do anything for him." I'll bet he turns into a stuttering mess. Maybe the Dodgers treated him better, but I highly doubt the Orioles did NOTHING for him

Maybe Ole Roy can have a heart to heart with him?

@Roy Firestone

The Dodgers have a lot more money to spend than the Orioles.  There is no disputing that.  The Dodgers had zero interest in signing Machado.  Zero.  That the Dodgers traded for him at the deadline and the Orioles traded him away reflected the vastly differing competitive situations the two teams were in at the time, not any "love" or lack thereof for Machado.  That Machado doesn't realize that obvious fact is really quite amazing, IMO.  

Hopefully, as Manny matures, he may get a better handle on what gratitude means.  Guys like Brooks Robinson and Adam Jones seem to get it.  

I wish Machado luck in the future, and hope he learns to mind what he says in public.

Just now, Number5 said:

The Dodgers have a lot more money to spend than the Orioles.  There is no disputing that.  The Dodgers had zero interest in signing Machado.  Zero.  That the Dodgers traded for him at the deadline and the Orioles traded him away reflected the vastly differing competitive situations the two teams were in at the time, not any "love" or lack thereof for Machado.  That Machado doesn't realize that obvious fact is really quite amazing, IMO.  

Hopefully, as Manny matures, he may get a better handle on what gratitude means.  Guys like Brooks Robinson and Adam Jones seem to get it.  

I wish Machado luck in the future, and hope he learns to mind what he says in public.

The Dodgers are at 199+ and the cap is 206.

There is no room for Manny given their current payroll.

The Dodgers had a rich talented system and a strong desire to win the WS.

Hence the trade.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Dodgers are at 199+ and the cap is 206.

There is no room for Manny given their current payroll.

The Dodgers had a rich talented system and a strong desire to win the WS.

Hence the trade.

Cory Seager and Justin Turner have much more to do with the Dodger's total lack of interest in signing Manny Machado than does the salary cap, IMO.

This is what comes with Manny Machado....when will he grow up.  He just got paid $300MM and he just doesn't get it.

What he kindly omits from his response is that the Orioles drafted him with their first pick and took a risk with him.  They fast tracked him through the minors and developed him into an All-Star third baseman.  Put him in face to face conversations with MLB Legends who just happen to be former Orioles.  He should be extremely grateful for the opportunity the Orioles provided him.

Apparently, the Dodgers showed more love for him because they traded away some prospects for him... I guess he forgot about their star SS getting injured and that he was only in their plans for 2 months to fill a need.

As I said in the other thread where this first appeared, I think Manny is miffed that the O’s never really tried to sign him long-term after about 2013.     And frankly, so am I.  In that context I really have no problem with Manny’s statement, even though he would have been better off not saying it.   

Sounds like the whole winter was very chaotic for Manny.    The full SI story in which the quote appears is here:   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/mlb/2019/02/26/manny-machado-san-diego-padres

Archived