Manny: O's didn't show me any love

TonySoprano

12 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why he went to San Diego, other than the money.  Isn't that where hitters go to die?

What can we expect from Manny Machado with the Padres?

Ballpark effects

San Diego's Petco Park has been notoriously pitcher-friendly since it opened in 2004. However, last season it tilted slightly hitter-friendly (+3% above average in scoring, according to ESPN's Park Factors).

Meanwhile, Machado's two home parks last season – Oriole Park at Camden Yards and Dodger Stadium – were both below-average in promoting scoring.

Where Petco Park could impact Machado the most is in the home run department. He tied his career high of 37 home runs last season with the benefit of playing in two home parks that ranked ninth and 11th for homers (+12% and +6%). 

Petco Park, meanwhile, depressed home runs by 7%. If conditions remain the same in 2019, a lesser percentage of Machado's offensive contributions in San Diego will come via the home run. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ledzepp8 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why he went to San Diego, other than the money.  Isn't that where hitters go to die?

Why do you need to find a reason other than the money?  Half the teams in the league are immediately eliminated from the discussion when talking $300 million.  Red Sox, Cubs, Astros, and Blue Jays all were out on Manny from the get-go.  Dodgers had zero interest.  Yankees gave him a nice dinner.  That's it.  Phillies decided they weren't interested after talking to him, much as the Yankees did.  Not hard to imagine that he said something he shouldn't have to both of those teams.  He doesn't seem to know when to be quiet and what not to say when it is time to talk.  White Sox were $50 million short on guaranteed money.  Padres were pretty much all alone with their offer.  Money, as usual, carried the day.

I was happy to see him go. He was disrespectful to the game and to everyone around him by the way he played the game, at times. A supreme talent, absolutely. But a petulant child. With great talent, comes great responsibility. And that’s a part of it he will never embrace because he just doesn’t understand that it isn’t all about him. 

I will be watching to see when the Padres play the Rangers. I want to see Manny slide with spikes up at Rougned Odor. 

58 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Pretty telling that Philly wouldn't go there for Machado, considering MacPhail is there. I wonder what his opinion of Manny might be.

Well, we have an idea what the minimum starting point was

Preller agrees that their pursuit intensified after the $175 million rumor. (“We obviously overbid by a lot,” he jokes, “If we got him for 300!”)

The Padres knew the rumors could not be true, because Lozano had told them he would not grant meetings to teams offering less than $250 million.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/26/manny-machado-san-diego-padres

An interesting side note, here's why it took a few days to officially announce

Most of the world found out last Tuesday, shortly after Machado called Lozano to report his decision. “BREAKING,” ESPN’s Jeff Passan tweeted at 12:24 p.m. Eastern. “Free agent star Manny Machado has agreed to a deal with the San Diego Padres, league sources tell ESPN.”

That’s how White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams learned that his team had lost the prize it most coveted. Chicago GM Rick Hahn got to hear the news over the phone, still dripping in sweat from his morning run of the stadium stairs.

“Since this has leaked out on Twitter—“ Lozano began.

San Diego owner Ron Fowler saw the tweet from his hotel room in Peoria; he was in town to deliver his annual state of the team address. What the hell? he thought. We don’t have a word of the contract drafted.

“It made me feel like we were being boxed in,” Fowler says now. “If you screw it up, you’re morons.”

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I was happy to see him go. He was disrespectful to the game and to everyone around him by the way he played the game, at times. A supreme talent, absolutely. But a petulant child. With great talent, comes great responsibility. And that’s a part of it he will never embrace because he just doesn’t understand that it isn’t all about him. 

I will be watching to see when the Padres play the Rangers. I want to see Manny slide with spikes up at Rougned Odor. 

Manny don’t want that smoke. Odor will humble him real quick! 

1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Yea the Dodgers showed him a lot of love, by not re-signing him. Manny’s attitude got bad at the wrong time. Good guy for years at least on the surface,  but inflated ego the past year. 

I think a lot of that was Showalter, Jones and others keeping him in check.

I don’t get the anger from Manny, then again I was never a world class athlete. 

At the end of the day a middle class- at best- market club did not give him the money he wanted. I would bet my house due to ownership. To place blame towards everyone is immature. If one person somewhere at a business does something you don’t like that means everyone did something to you? 

If they didn’t respect his talents they why did they wait so long to deal him?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please Buck liked to call out guys like Kim and Mountcastle.  Not his stars.

I don't recall him benching Manny or saying much of anything about his antics.

Not publicly. But behind closed doors, I'd imagine Buck and Jones had a few things to say to Manny about his behavior.

1 hour ago, VaBird1 said:

I think a lot of that was Showalter, Jones and others keeping him in check.

I have to agree with this. He had some petty antics while here but for the most part he seemed like a good guy. After he got out of the O’s clubhouse he seemed to show his true colors. Of course none of us know this for sure but it’d be quite circumstantial for his personality to take a nose dive (even when considering his tantrums) after the trade. 

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

It will be interesting to see how Manny does this year. I hope he doesn't pull a Davis.

Archived