Manny: O's didn't show me any love

TonySoprano

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know Orioles fans like to portray themselves as blue collar, grind it out type of people that appreciate blue collar, grind it out type talent.  Flashy and hot-doggin' doesn't work in ol' Balmer, hon.  Ain't no room for Miami flash n dash in Dundalk.

But you can't look at this highlight reel and say Manny dogged it:

Can't believe the Rays "Don't throw it" play isn't in this montage.

The O's rewarded Manny with a $100K bonus following his 2013 Platinum Glove award on top of his $519K base salary.  They didn't have to do that.  I think that showed at least a little "good faith" love.  $100K may not sound like much in the present context, but for a 20 year old that's a lot of money.

6 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

The O's rewarded Manny with a $100K bonus following his 2013 Platinum Glove award on top of his $519K base salary.  They didn't have to do that.  I think that showed at least a little "good faith" love.  $100K may not sound like much in the present context, but for a 20 year old that's a lot of money.

Manny’s a man child whose likely been coddled since it was obvious he had elite talent.

Plus it doesn’t help that he idolized Arod growing up.  

7 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

Manny wasn’t too impressed with that.   https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-manny-machado-says-2014-contract-disappointing-but-you-just-have-to-go-out-and-play-20140310-story,amp.html

23 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Really?  Dustin Pedroia?  Jose Bautista?  

They were never Orioles.  You know the poster in question, you have to save your real contempt for Orioles who didn't win us a championship while acting like Brooks (but not Cal, since he never liked Cal).

This might be an unpopular opinion, I do love Manny, but here it goes:

• No player is worth $300M. Even Babe Ruth's ghost or Barry Bonds. Its a team game, and if you can't afford a supporting cast around them, its easy to just walk a player.
  • Manny is great, but let's put it in perspective. He's a great fielder who is a pretty good hitter. He's not a middle of the order nightmare that teams have to gameplan around. I don't see why he was given a once in a generation style contract when he's not an offensive production monster. As I said above, I prefer spreading the wealth around instead of concentrating it in 1-2 players, but if i was to splurge, I'd want a menacing power hitter or a #1 Ace starting pitcher. 

Disclaimer: I know that you might bring up Chris Davis as a cautionary tale. I personally thought that was a bust the minute I saw the headlines. I thought that he was a one trick pony that was only going to go downhill. When I say that I value power hitters, I also value guys who draw a ton of walks (not just IBBs, but earned walks). Chris Davis just creates too many outs for my liking. Either way, it was way too much for a small market franchise to put into an incomplete player. 

15 minutes ago, Trackmaster said:

• Manny is great, but let's put it in perspective. He's a great fielder who is a pretty good hitter. He's not a middle of the order nightmare that teams have to gameplan around. I don't see why he was given a once in a generation style contract when he's not an offensive production monster. As I said above, I prefer spreading the wealth around instead of concentrating it in 1-2 players, but if i was to splurge, I'd want a menacing power hitter or a #1 Ace starting pitcher. 

He certainly WAS an "offensive production monster" this past season. Better than "pretty good" and a heart-of-the-order option in any batting lineup. His bat was certainly more valuable than his glove in 2018. I don't think the numbers support your assertion here. Seems to me you're downplaying his bat quite a bit.

33 minutes ago, Trackmaster said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, I do love Manny, but here it goes:

• No player is worth $300M. Even Babe Ruth's ghost or Barry Bonds. Its a team game, and if you can't afford a supporting cast around them, its easy to just walk a player

I personally think the inability to afford a supporting cast is an overrated argument. Are you going to purchase two 3-win players with the money you’re paying Manny? It’s not like your whole payroll is gutted by the amount you pay him. On top of that, he’s only taking one roster spot, so he’s more valuable than 2 or 3 players that add up to the same production/value. 

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I personally think the inability to afford a supporting cast is an overrated argument. Are you going to purchase two 3-win players with the money you’re paying Manny? It’s not like your whole payroll is gutted by the amount you pay him. On top of that, he’s only taking one roster spot, so he’s more valuable than 2 or 3 players that add up to the same production/value. 

I agree with this.    I think it makes sense to think in terms of the annual salary, rather than the total contract.    Does paying your best player $30 mm keep your team from competing because you don’t have enough to spend on the other players, if that player actually performs?   I don’t think so at all.   Let’s look at the top salaries on the various playoff teams last year:

Red Sox - Price $30 mm

Yankees - Stanton $25 mm

Indians - Encarnacion $18.7 mm

Houston - Verlander $28 mm

Oakland - Davis $10.5 mm

LA Dodgers - Kershaw $35.6 mm

Colorado - Desmond $22 mm

Brewers - Braun $20 mm

Cubs - Heyward $28.2 mm

Braves - Freeman $21 mm

I think when you consider the time horizon of these contracts, $30 mm will be a pretty common top salary on a contending team.

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

From 2013-2015, the Nats paid Harper $6.65M.  The Orioles paid Machado $1.562M.

From 2016-2018, the Nats paid Harper $38.25M.  The Orioles paid Machado $32.5M.

Harper put up 27.4 WAR before free agency. Machado put up 33.8.

Including the $5.25M Machadough was paid when drafted, Money made just below $40M from Baltimore. Love? For $40M, you can call me any name in the book.  I'll be living on a beach somewhere.

Archived