Manny: O's didn't show me any love

TonySoprano

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

From 2013-2015, the Nats paid Harper $6.65M.  The Orioles paid Machado $1.562M.

From 2016-2018, the Nats paid Harper $38.25M.  The Orioles paid Machado $32.5M.

Harper put up 27.4 WAR before free agency. Machado put up 33.8.

I believe the 2013-15 numbers for Harper are the result of the contract he signed when he first joined the Nats, not some act of generosity by the team.    http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=5468993

There also was a dispute about an oral agreement for an opt-out clause if Harper was eligible for arbitration, that got settled and impacted his 2015 salary.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.federalbaseball.com/platform/amp/2014/12/15/7393637/nationals-and-bryce-harper-reportedly-agree-on-two-year-deal

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There also was a dispute about an oral agreement for an opt-out clause if Harper was eligible for arbitration, that got settled and impacted his 2015 salary.

This year, opt-outs may/may not have been discussed.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:52 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I know Orioles fans like to portray themselves as blue collar, grind it out type of people that appreciate blue collar, grind it out type talent.  Flashy and hot-doggin' doesn't work in ol' Balmer, hon.  Ain't no room for Miami flash n dash in Dundalk.

But you can't look at this highlight reel and say Manny dogged it:

Good point, and thanks for sharing that link. It brought back a lot of good memories. But I bet anyone who's watched a lot of games can remember a time or two when he didn't hustle, especially on the bases. My main point was that I didn't appreciate Manny's disrespect, and if he wants to play that game, then we can call him out too. Nonetheless, I wish him well and hope he gets better, wins an MVP or two, and goes on to the Hall of Fame. Just wish he would have shown Baltimore the same respect he craved. I would like to have seen some kind of indication that he wanted to stay, but I never got that idea the entire time he was here.

6 minutes ago, linedrive said:

Good point, and thanks for sharing that link. It brought back a lot of good memories. But I bet anyone who's watched a lot of games can remember a time or two when he didn't hustle, especially on the bases. My main point was that I didn't appreciate Manny's disrespect, and if he wants to play that game, then we can call him out too. Nonetheless, I wish him well and hope he gets better, wins an MVP or two, and goes on to the Hall of Fame. Just wish he would have shown Baltimore the same respect he craved. I would like to have seen some kind of indication that he wanted to stay, but I never got that idea the entire time he was here.

Good post! Agree with all of it. However I don’t care to see him ever win a ring or MVP or make it to the HOF. If Manny never played in Baltimore I wouldn’t care for him at all. I tolerated him because he was on my lifelong favorite team. Manny to me is nothing but a cry baby. 

22 minutes ago, linedrive said:

I think disrespect = not getting a long term deal here, not the actual city and fans of Baltimore.  

Interesting, for those who say that Manny's non-hustling and other assorted antics didn't have an influence his eventual free agent outcome.

Phillies' managing general partner claims that fan input definitely affected the Phillies' choice of Harper over Machado.   Philly fans overwhelmingly clamored for Harper and he SAYS that made a difference.   And I'm sure the fan love for Harper rather than Machado was at least partly influenced by Manny's bad guy reputation that blossomed in the postseason last year.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26144073/philly-fans-influenced-harper-machado

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Interesting, for those who say that Manny's non-hustling and other assorted antics didn't have an influence his eventual free agent outcome.

Phillies' managing general partner claims that fan input definitely affected the Phillies' choice of Harper over Machado.   Philly fans overwhelmingly clamored for Harper and he SAYS that made a difference.   And I'm sure the fan love for Harper rather than Machado was at least partly influenced by Manny's bad guy reputation that blossomed in the postseason last year.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26144073/philly-fans-influenced-harper-machado

Listening to the fans on how to run your team is good way to turn into a loser.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:41 AM, CallMeBrooksie said:

He certainly WAS an "offensive production monster" this past season. Better than "pretty good" and a heart-of-the-order option in any batting lineup. His bat was certainly more valuable than his glove in 2018. I don't think the numbers support your assertion here. Seems to me you're downplaying his bat quite a bit.

Was he though?  By general counting stats, last season was his best offensive season.  But he still wasn't as good overall as he was in 2015.  That being said, even with how good of a season he had last year, he wasn't even in the top 10 in WAR overall.

1 hour ago, linedrive said:

I guess I wish him well.

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think disrespect = not getting a long term deal here, not the actual city and fans of Baltimore.  

And not really being approached about a long term deal after 2013, despite dropping hints on several occasions that he’d be interested in having that discussion.    

I agree his comment wasn’t aimed at all at the city or the fans.    He said the opposite many times.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

And not really being approached about a long term deal after 2013, despite dropping hints on several occasions that he’d be interested in having that discussion.    

I agree his comment wasn’t aimed at all at the city or the fans.    He said the opposite many times.    

Yep, but let's not that get in the way of thin-skinned fans who want to take everything personally because of their Baltimore inferiority complex.

Archived