Early 25 man prediction?

ChuckS

I realize Spring Training just started and a lot could happen between now and the start of the season, including waiver additions/injuries but I thought it would be a fun exercise to make some predictions now and see how close we come.  Here is mine:

• Catcher (2):  Sisco, Wynns
  • Infielders (7) Davis, Villar, Martin, Ruiz, Nunez, Escobar (IF/OF), Jackson (IF/OF) 
  • Outfielders (4) Stewart, Mullins, Rickard, Mancini

I listed Mancini as an OF but I think he probably plays more DH and 1B. Jackson and Escobar could get occasional OF starts. Trumbo starts on the DL. 

• Starting pitchers (5): Cobb, Bundy, Cashner, Hess, Rogers
  • Relievers (7): Givens, Castro, Fry, Aruajo, Yacabonis, Ramirez, Scott

Edited:  Forgot that Aruajo has to stay on the roster for 45 days, so that bumps Brandon Kline to Triple A. 

Lot of guys are in the mix for the bullpen, but this my best guess.  Bubble guys for me are Kline, Cody Carroll, Evan Phillips, and Donnie Hart. I'm guessing Karns and Bleier start out on the DL, but their statuses are really up in the air so they could easily bump some of the guys I have listed for the 25 man. 

I like your thinking. 

I think I'd prefer swapping Escobar out for another reliever (Bleier might be ready by OD). Especially with the positional flexibility happening.

Not sure Rogers wins a job--could see Mike Wright getting his last chance. Or Yelfry Ramirez as a starter, and Wright as the BP arm.

Catchers:  Sisco, Perez

Infielders: Davis, Villar, Escobar, Ruiz, Martin, Jackson, Nunez

Outfielder: Mancini, Mullins, Rickard

DH: Trumbo

Starter: Cobb, Bundy, Cashner, Karns, Hess

Relievers: Givens, Bleiers, Castro, Fry, Kline, Wright, Araujo

I have my doubts that Ruiz and Núñez both make the roster. That is unless Trumbo is not ready to go North and ends up on the DL. Núñez has the yips with his throws and, for me, if that doesn’t change, it seals his fate. But his exit velo is really something. Hard to give up on that.

Seems like Wright and Hess are battling for the 5 spot in the rotation. The rest of the group seems behind them, so far anyway. I think Wright has the early advantage because they want to see just what they have in him as a starter. Yacabonis is somewhat intriguing, but I agree with Luke that he has issues with stamina and holding the velo later in games. He’s my long guy, unless Hess just blows people away and they keep Wright in the pen. 

And the catchers, despite Sisco’s early power, I still think he heads to Norfolk to work on his defense and game calling. But maybe Tim Cossins wants him on the big club to tutor him personally. And we just don’t know about Sucre yet. 

With an all right handed starter group, I think they’ll keep three LHP’s in the pen. 

I have always been big on Hays, and I’d love to see him make the roster on OD. I suspect he gets the nod over Stewart because of the defense in RF/CF. But that only happens if he continues to show maturity in his approach. If he starts flailing at breaking balls in the dirt again, then he goes to Norfolk to begin the season. 

Infielders: Davis, Villar, Martin, Ruiz, Escobar and  Jackson. 

Catchers: Wynns and Sucre

Outfielders: Mancini, Mullins, Hays and Rickard. 

DH: Trumbo, or Núñez if Trumbo starts on the DL. 

Starters: Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Karns and Wright. 

Relievers; Givens, Bleier, Scott, Fry, Castro, Araujo and Yacabonis. (Agree that Kline comes up for Araujo after his days as a Rule 5 are satisfied.) 

I also want to say that Jack Reinheimer has been interesting so far. I like the way he competes and I like his game. If Escobar is washed up, Reinheimer and Wilkerson fight it out for a spot. 

The bullpen looks like it has some real potential this year after a ton of turnover. Hope we see this at some point,

CL: Givens

SU: Scott

SU: Kline

MR: Castro

MR: Bleier 

MR: Fry

LR: Fresh Arm Revolving Door (Wright likely gets first crack)

I think that’s our “best” 7 for the pen  Arajuo is just a temporary situation.  I’m not down on Castro and Bleier, I think they’re a bit better fitted for 3+ outs in the middle innings.

A lot of you have Karns in the rotation. I think that is extremely unlikely considering his health issues and lack of innings over the last two years, not to mention he's already had issues with arm soreness this Spring. 

If he makes the team, I think it's in the bullpen. 

20 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

A lot of you have Karns in the rotation. I think that is extremely unlikely considering his health issues and lack of innings over the last two years, not to mention he's already had issues with arm soreness this Spring. 

If he makes the team, I think it's in the bullpen. 

I would be extremely surprised if he is in the bullpen.My guess is, he either makes the team as a starter or goes to the minors on a rehab assignment. He will be given every opportunity to be in the rotation,.

Archived