Donnie Hart DFA!

Legend_Of_Joey

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

The best time to get players out of option through waivers is the day before opening day.  I am kind of surprised  after keeping Hart this long they didn't wait until just before opening day.   They must value Alberto more than Hart.   

I think someone claims Hart. Lefties are normally in demand.

Probably every organization has a lefty better than him that won't make their team.  

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Probably every organization has a lefty better than him that won't make their team.  

With three weeks left before OD teams get to watch him pitch and determine whether he can make their team.  And if he can't they can wait until the day before OD to DFA him when he has a better chance to get through waivers.  That is why I think someone claims him,

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Quite possible the depth is so thin he was never really in their plans. As others have stated, he might clear waivers. If he doesn’t,  it’s not like it matters. 

I’m no huge fan of Alberto, but even less so of Hart.

Honestly, I couldn’t care less who we choose to keep between Hart and Alberto.   It’s of trivial importance.    I just thought it was weird that first they chose to DFA Alberto and keep Hart, and a week later they claim Alberto and DFA Hart.    Having read the various explanations people have offered, the most plausible one is that at first they thought Alberto was the less likely to be claimed by another team, but since he did get claimed, the O’s are grabbing him back and seeing if they’ll have better luck getting Hart through waivers than they had with Alberto.   However, I note that Alberto passed through the entire AL before the Giants claimed him, and then the entire NL when the O’s claimed him back.    So it’s not clear than any team other than the O’s and Giants has any interest in claiming him.

I think there’s a good chance we make several more waiver claims by the O’s before the season starts.    Getting first dibs on all the AL DFA’s is a nice advantage for a team without much depth. 

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I couldn’t care less who we choose to keep between Hart and Alberto.   It’s of trivial importance.    I just thought it was weird that first they chose to DFA Alberto and keep Hart, and a week later they claim Alberto and DFA Hart.    Having read the various explanations people have offered, the most plausible one is that at first they thought Alberto was the less likely to be claimed by another team, but since he did get claimed, the O’s are grabbing him back and seeing if they’ll have better luck getting Hart through waivers than they had with Alberto.   However, I note that Alberto passed through the entire AL before the Giants claimed him, and then the entire NL when the O’s claimed him back.    So it’s not clear than any team other than the O’s and Giants has any interest in claiming him.

I think there’s a good chance we make several more waiver claims by the O’s before the season starts.    Getting first dibs on all the AL DFA’s is a nice advantage for a team without much depth. 

The 40+ roster game tends to be more about personal inclination about certain players or player types. Whether another club was willing to expand a temporary 40 slot or not on a player do not inform the Orioles decision to do so or not.

There are still a bunch of FAs out there that will sign.  Every time one of them signs, a team will have to DFA a player to make room. Plus at the end of ST, all the guys on milb deals that make OD rosters will require a DFA to add them. 

We could see lots of shuffling at the bottom of the 40 man roster. Some incremental improvements. 

Trumbo and Bleier are looking like DL to start the year. 60 day DL? Karns?  Escobar, EY Jr, maybe a C, could have to be added. 

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Only citing it to point out that he did nothing between Feb.  22 and March 1 that would cause the O’s to change their mind about Alberto vs. Hart, which they apparently did.  

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think this is pretty accurate. Claiming guys and then trying to squeeze them through waivers later is a classic way to try and get 26th-30th man type of talent in the organization. I was actually surprised Hart wasn't DFA'd earlier. I'd be surprised if he was taken of waivers.

I think what Tony says is right.  I don't think anything changed.  I think in general, the O's would like to stash both players.  They tried dropping Alberto, now they are trying to stash Hart.  I think it is that simple.  It certainly isn't a big deal either way.  

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Getting first dibs on all the AL DFA’s is a nice advantage for a team without much depth. 

And I definitely agree with that.

Depth at positions they’re prioritizing is the the key. I hope Hart isn’t claimed and if he gets a shot, performs like he did back in 2016. But I see nothing wrong with the process here.

Archived