Can Mullins have a bad spring .....

wildcard

Just now, wildcard said:

Thanks for understand the difference.  I have not even expressed an opinion in this thread.  Just asked questions.  I have enjoyed the answers others have given.

This is a good thread because I’m not sure what Mullins is at this point.  Everyday player, 4th outfielder or AAAA level player?  Hope we find out this year.  

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think he’ll make the team almost no matter what.    We don’t have anyone else with pure CF defensive skills, and the guys who “sort of” do (like Hays and Diaz) need a bit more seasoning and we wouldn’t want them up for service time reasons.    

Anyway, 13 PA is the equivalent of three full games, hardly worth getting jumpy about.    I realize the OP is not based solely on that, and is posing a hypothetical.    But I’m just saying we can cross that bridge when we come to it.    

Not to mention,  his first game was VERY good. A couple of good PAs and his numbers are looking really good again. Such is how things go with SSSs. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

and still make the opening day 25 man roster?

After one week Mullins is hitting 182/308/273/580.  We hope that does not continue through the spring but what if it does? Mullins hit 235/312/359/671 in 170 at bat in 2018 in the majors.   

Does Mullins get handed a 25 man roster spot or does he have to earn it in ST?

At this juncture, he could have a horrendous Spring offensively and be on the opening day roster. Or he could be sent down for the first few weeks. If they sign a free-agent CF, he could have a good Spring at not make it. Regardless of whether he is on the opening day roster, he is almost guaranteed to spend at least half of the season with the Orioles. Especially in an organization filled with question marks, he and others will get their chances. Here's the catch: after the 2019 season, marginal players towards the end of their development, like Mullins, may find themselves on the wrong side of the 40-man roster. Time waits for no one.

13 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Isn’t Eric Young the CF backup plan?

Maybe but Hyde as only played him at left field so far this spring.

Rickard is probably the CF backup as of right now. Maybe Jackson if he makes the team.

o

The Orioles are coming off of a 47-115 season.

Almost anybody can have a bad Spring Training, and still conceivably be a candidate to make the team.

G.M. (Alan Dexter): ) "He's a lefty."

Manager (Jack Warden): ) "Lefty Schmefty, if he has more than one arm and less than four, he's for us."

o

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's one week of ST. 

Can we stop making projections/assumptions/declarations?  

I mean, if one week of regular season games is considered a small sample size, I think a week of ST games should be considered a minuscule sample size.

I'm pretty sure wildcard wasn't "making projections/assumptions/declarations". He just asked a question, and a legitimate one at that. 

Archived