Outfield defense

Frobby

I've made the argument in other threads that the O's should sign veterans with good defense to help out their pitching staff. I know rebuilding = play-young-players, but it's a disservice to the young arms to have lousy defense behind them.

I'm ready to see an OF of Diaz/Mullins/Hayes... which I think will be the best defensively

Throw in Rickard to platoon with Mullins who can't hit left handers and I'm ready to roll

No more Mancini (in OF), Trumbo, or Jones ==> Big improvement

Santander, Stewart, Mountcastle can battle it out for DH AB's

Release Davis, release Trumbo when/if  he comes off of DL

Martin at SS, Villar at 2B, Mancini at 1B, somebody at 3B (3B is looking like a really weak spot).

Have a chance to be at least league average defensively

57 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It doesn’t look like Trumbo will be ready by OD.  

54 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Personally, I think Santander may be the biggest beneficiary of Trumbo not being ready for OD. 

I’m not so sure Trumbo won’t be ready for opening day.   Roch reported this weekend that while no date has been set, Trumbo could be playing in spring training games by March 12.    That certainly would leave him plenty of time to be ready for opening day.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not so sure Trumbo won’t be ready for opening day.   Roch reported this weekend that while no date has been set, Trumbo could be playing in spring training games by March 12.    That certainly would leave him plenty of time to be ready for opening day.  

Yeah! ?

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Personally, I think Santander may be the biggest beneficiary of Trumbo not being ready for OD.  I think Stewart would have made the team, now I think Santander is the 25th guy of sorts.

Are you saying that you think Joey doesn’t make it? If Mancini is in the left, it removes a spot, but hopefully Mancini will be first base/DH, but even then it’s Mullins Hayes Young & Rickard.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.  Trumbo's durability has been a traditional plus.  He had over 3000 minor league PA's before his 4000 major league ones, and his tank is running out of gas.  I'm cool with conserving energy and would be fascinated to know the intricacies of Sig's Fatigue Countermeasures recommendations on him.  I imagine he wants/needs about 50 PA's and can get them in just about any 10-day period.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not so sure Trumbo won’t be ready for opening day.   Roch reported this weekend that while no date has been set, Trumbo could be playing in spring training games by March 12.    That certainly would leave him plenty of time to be injured again by opening day.  

Edited that for you. :)

5 hours ago, theocean said:

I've made the argument in other threads that the O's should sign veterans with good defense to help out their pitching staff. I know rebuilding = play-young-players, but it's a disservice to the young arms to have lousy defense behind them.

You are correct, but you’re forgetting that the outfield defense we have in camp will probably be pretty good.

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's the thing about great plays: you can make them whether your range is that of a banana slug (or Derek Jeter), or if you're Kevin Kiermaier and you just ran a quarter-mile to get to the ball.

9 hours ago, Natty said:

I will say this about Jonesy...He made the greatest catch I've ever seen him make last year in RF on a line drive. Totally stretched out horizontal dive. I couldn't believe my eyes.  

How about this one?  lol. 

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Are you saying that you think Joey doesn’t make it? If Mancini is in the left, it removes a spot, but hopefully Mancini will be first base/DH, but even then it’s Mullins Hayes Young & Rickard.

I think Hays starts at AAA. 

Archived