O's players on the bubble get fewer and fewer

wildcard

43 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is honestly not impossible that Davis might be let go. He has looked terrible. There is not one single redeeming thing about his approach at the plate. There’s nothing that offers hope or encouragement. The money is already spent, and Brandon and Mike don’t care about him as anything but a rivet in the plating, so I could see them dumping him. 

IMO there is almost no chance that Davis is DFA'd before opening day.   His playing time could and should be effected by a poor season last year followed by a bad spring.   I can see Hyde playing Mancini and/or Nunez at first most days.   But I think Elias and Hyde will want to give Don Long time with Davis to turn him around.   That should go far into the season.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

1. Hanser
2. Wilkerson
3. Wright
4. Phillips
5. Osich are the five guys on the DFA bubble in my opinion.

Sucre, Young and Escobar in that order are the guys who have the most chance of being added to the 40-man. 

That's a good list, Tony.  I am not high on Sucre, Young or Escobar though.

I consider myself relatively smart when it comes to the O's, and I don't have any idea where to begin with this conversation. You all having this discussion are the super fans of the super fans, lol. Fans will have to learn about 22 new names on March 28, and the 3-5 they do know have a fair chance to be gone in July. What an interesting follow this year will be, even if they're terrible.

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm surprised to see Phillips named here so much. Only 24 and throws hard. 12.6k/9 in the minors last year.

I wasn't a fan of his stuff when I saw him last year in the majors. I then checked the analytics and sure enough, his stuff is below average across the board. Add in below average command, and he's a dime a dozen right-handed AAAA reliever for me. Hitters barreled him twice as much as the average major leaguers and he gave up a significant a 91.6 MPH exit velocity (87.4 MLB avg). His slider was his best pitch and I saw him break some good ones, but it's inconsistent and has below average spin rate. He had little command of his changeup.

BTW, he averaged 94.1 MPH on his fastball which is slightly over major league average on 93.5 for righthanders. His spin rate is unremarkable and he had below average command of the pitch. 

So is he a guy I'd be happy to stash at AAA and hope he can help at some point possibly? Sure I'd be ok with that., but if I needed a roster spot I'd give his up without a concern.

I like Givens, Castro, Kline, Ynoa, Yacabonis, Araujo and even Carroll more than him and that's just the guys still in camp. I haven't seen enough of the NR right-handed relievers to have an opinion on them. Heck, I like Lucas Long in a relief role better than Phillips and he didn't even make our top 30.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I'm surprised to see Phillips named here so much. Only 24 and throws hard. 12.6k/9 in the minors last year.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Except he was utterly crushed when on the mound last summer.

Philip dissing Phillips.    Sad.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I wasn't a fan of his stuff when I saw him last year in the majors. I then checked the analytics and sure enough, his stuff is below average across the board. Add in below average command, and he's a dime a dozen right-handed AAAA reliever for me. Hitters barreled him twice as much as the average major leaguers and he gave up a significant a 91.6 MPH exit velocity (87.4 MLB avg). His slider was his best pitch and I saw him break some good ones, but it's inconsistent and has below average spin rate. He had little command of his changeup.

BTW, he averaged 94.1 MPH on his fastball which is slightly over major league average on 93.5 for righthanders. His spin rate is unremarkable and he had below average command of the pitch. 

So is he a guy I'd be happy to stash at AAA and hope he can help at some point possibly? Sure I'd be ok with that., but if I needed a roster spot I'd give his up without a concern.

I like Givens, Castro, Kline, Ynoa, Yacabonis, Araujo and even Carroll more than him and that's just the guys still in camp. I haven't seen enough of the NR right-handed relievers to have an opinion on them. Heck, I like Lucas Long in a relief role better than Phillips and he didn't even make our top 30.

Fair enough! 

#owned

4 hours ago, oriole said:

I liked Núñez coming into ST but it seems his defense is severely lacking. Even if Davis sucks again this year he will likely be at first most days. When he isn’t then Mancini probably should be. Núñez is looking at DH. I think I’d prefer to see him there than Trumbo but it’ll be Trumbo. I think Núñez is gone and I’d bet Alberto is off as well. I’m thinking Jackson is sent back too.

I like Nunez but he is a 1B if anything. Cut Davis, keep Nunez. Unlikely to happen but...you gotta go defense first for a rebuilding club.

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fair enough! 

#owned

Haha, not owned at all. These are good questions. I just happen to find a lot of your questions to be good chances to put out some data and my opinions.It's all good. I appreciate you teeing them up for me! :D

Archived