Deadline Trades Update

now

With all the new faces thrown in together in this spring's free-for-all "tryout" camp, I keep trying to remember who came in from which trade. So here's a recap, along with my thumbnail letter grades updated to reflect prospect status and progress to date in our system. Not that I'm any kind of expert in rankings, just giving one fan's take to provide a handy reference.

Oriole Trades July 2018

For Manny Machado we received from the Dodgers--
A- : 21-year old OF Yusniel Diaz
B+ : 22-year old RHSP Dean Kremer
C : 22-year old 3B/2B Rylan Bannon
C+ : 21-year old RHRP Zach Pop
D : 26-year old UTIL Breyvic Valera

For Zach Britton we received from the Yankees--
C : 24-year old RHSP Dillon Tate
C : 25-year old RHRP Cody Carroll 
B- : 24-year old LHSP Josh Rogers

For Kevin Gausman we received from the Braves--
C- : 20-year old 3B Jean Carlos Encarnacion
C- : 23-year old Catcher Brett Cumberland
D+ : 23-year old LHSP Bruce Zimmerman
C+ : 23-year old RHRP Evan Phillips

For Jonathan Schoop we received from the Brewers--
C : 22-year old RHSP Luis Ortiz
C- : 18-year old SS Jean Carmona
B : 27-year old Infielder Jonathan Villar

For Brad Brach we received from the Braves--
$250,000 in International signing bonus allocation money

For Kevin Gausman we received from the Braves--
2.5 million in International signing bonus allocation money

11 minutes ago, Andtothewall said:

It'll be fun to watch the trade tree expand over the next few years as we deal some of these guys. Wonder how much of the 2023 World Series-winning roster will be part of the 2018 deadline tree. 

Yeah, lots of possibilities there especially with so many young prospects: half of the fifteen were age 22 or under at the time of the trade.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for putting this together. I think we’re all going to get confused in the future and think Drew Jackson game over in the Manny trade. 

Drew Jackson was traded for (international cap money) after the Rule 5 draft. By all accounts he's a rule 5 guy for us.

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Drew Jackson was traded for (international cap money) after the Rule 5 draft. By all accounts he's a rule 5 guy for us.

International cap money you say? So he's part of the Gausman trade now, at least for me. So I feel better.

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

25 minutes ago, Ven6 said:

International cap money you say? So he's part of the Gausman trade now, at least for me. So I feel better.

Good point; I've added the amounts to the OP. There are a few players to fill in for that excess money, who have been acquired since then. Tracking this part of the trade equation gets complicated!

25 minutes ago, now said:

Good point; I've added the amounts to the OP. There are a few players to fill in for that excess money, who have been acquired since then. Tracking this part of the trade equation gets complicated!

How can you tell if the slot money comes out of the O's slots they haven't used, the Brach slots they haven't used or the Gausman slots they haven't used?

4 hours ago, now said:

With all the new faces thrown in together in this spring's free-for-all "tryout" camp, I keep trying to remember who came in from which trade. So here's a recap, along with my thumbnail letter grades updated to reflect prospect status and progress to date in our system. Not that I'm any kind of expert in rankings, just giving one fan's take to provide a handy reference.

Oriole Trades July 2018

For Manny Machado we received from the Dodgers--
A- : 21-year old OF Yusniel Diaz
B+ : 22-year old RHSP Dean Kremer
C : 22-year old 3B/2B Rylan Bannon
C+ : 21-year old RHRP Zach Pop
D : 26-year old UTIL Breyvic Valera

For Zach Britton we received from the Yankees--
C : 24-year old RHSP Dillon Tate
C : 25-year old RHRP Cody Carroll 
B- : 24-year old LHSP Josh Rogers

For Kevin Gausman we received from the Braves--
C- : 20-year old 3B Jean Carlos Encarnacion
C- : 23-year old Catcher Brett Cumberland
D+ : 23-year old LHSP Bruce Zimmerman
C+ : 23-year old RHRP Evan Phillips

For Jonathan Schoop we received from the Brewers--
C : 22-year old RHSP Luis Ortiz
C- : 18-year old SS Jean Carmona
B : 27-year old Infielder Jonathan Villar

For Brad Brach we received from the Braves--
$250,000 in International signing bonus allocation money

For Kevin Gausman we received from the Braves--
2.5 million in International signing bonus allocation money

4 hours ago, now said:

Yeah, lots of possibilities there especially with so many young prospects: half of the fifteen were age 22 or under at the time of the trade.

HHP.  Front Page.

58 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

The Gausman AND Britton trades looked (and still look) pretty bad to me. However, I hope some of those prospects really step up. Encarnacion, in particular, may show out.

We didn't deserve much for Britton.  Held on waaay too long.  I liked the MM and Schoop trades.  That Gaus mess was horrid from the jump though.

Archived