wildcard

46 minutes ago, interloper said:

By the way, there is room on the OD roster for all of the following:

Mancini
Hays
Mullins
Rickard
One of Santander/Young Jr/Smith Jr

With Davis and Trumbo seemingly healthy for opening day, I think the O's only have room for 2 out of Mullins, Hays, and Santander.  It looks like the O's are leaning towards Hays over Mullins.  I would like to see Mullins get a chance, but maybe the O's don't see him as a mlb starter.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

With Davis and Trumbo seemingly healthy for opening day, I think the O's only have room for 2 out of Mullins, Hays, and Santander.  It looks like the O's are leaning towards Hays over Mullins.  I would like to see Mullins get a chance, but maybe the O's don't see him as a mlb starter.

11 pitchers, 4 starting IF, 1 DH, 1 C, 3 starting OF = 20

5 man bench

Rickard
Jackson
Backup C
One of Nunez/Ruiz
One of Santander/Smith Jr/Young Jr

At least that's one way it could work out. Just depends on if they go with 11 pitchers instead of 12. I basically have 4 starters and 7 relievers, one of whom slides into the 5th SP slot.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

11 pitchers, 4 starting IF, 1 DH, 1 C, 3 starting OF = 20

5 man bench

Rickard
Jackson
Backup C
One of Nunez/Ruiz
One of Santander/Smith Jr/Young Jr

At least that's one way it could work out. Just depends on if they go with 11 pitchers instead of 12. I basically have 4 starters and 7 relievers, one of whom slides into the 5th SP slot.

The O's are going to need 12 pitchers easily.  The starters have been pitching like crap for the most part.  I foresee lots of games where the bullpen needs to pitch the last 6+ innings.

I have nothing to add to this thread because I don't trust my own eye, not as much as I trust a lot of you. Fascinating thread tho, and this will be an exciting two weeks. Seeing all yous opinions, seeing who Elias and Hyde and the braintrust keep and who they send down. So many good battles STILL going on this late. It might not be the best baseball but it sure is fun!

29 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's are going to need 12 pitchers easily.  The starters have been pitching like crap for the most part.  I foresee lots of games where the bullpen needs to pitch the last 6+ innings.

We're going to need long guyS multiple. Assuming Wright will be a starter (ugh!) probably need Yefry R., Yacabonis, Hess maybe? A couple guys to clean up other's messes and fill innings. 5 man bench would be glorious but it ain't happening.

59 minutes ago, Natty said:

Outfield Prospects...

Hays...        364 .400 .879 1.279
Rickard....   367 .424 .533 .958
Santander...367 .424 .767 1.191
Mullins...     152 .263 .394 .657

Why does Rickard hit so well every spring?

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Teams are not really trying to get him out, he gets to hit a lot early in spring training and in later innings later in spring training, and he’s always on the roster bubble and trying to get results. 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last year I recall Rickard did not make the final roster in ST. He came up later. We know what Rickard can do. Solid fielder. But he's a lifetime .252 hitter, can he improve that? 

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Last year I recall Rickard did not make the final roster in ST. He came up later. We know what Rickard can do. Solid fielder. But he's a lifetime .252 hitter, can he improve that? 

this season is shot, time for the young kids, I suspect by 2021, Rickard will be full time backup on the bench or out of baseball.

The focus on spring training stats to separate players in this and other threads is pretty ridiculous. I guess it doesn’t ultimately matter who makes the starting roster because all the young players will be given a chance to play themselves onto the roster during the season, but I’m already dreading the posts making excuses for mediocre play at AAA by the likes of Santander et al. because the Orioles ruined his year by not giving him the opening day roster spot the player “earned” in spring training. IMO only a real prospect like Hays has a chance to really play his way onto the roster. The Orioles opening day roster is unlikely to remain unchanged for more than a week or two, but I hope Elias and company are not naive enough to change their view of iffy players based on a few weeks of spring training stats. I’m pretty confident they are not. 

21 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The focus on spring training stats to separate players in this and other threads is pretty ridiculous. I guess it doesn’t ultimately matter who makes the starting roster because all the young players will be given a chance to play themselves onto the roster during the season, but I’m already dreading the posts making excuses for mediocre play at AAA by the likes of Santander et al. because the Orioles ruined his year by not giving him the opening day roster spot the player “earned” in spring training. IMO only a real prospect like Hays has a chance to really play his way onto the roster. The Orioles opening day roster is unlikely to remain unchanged for more than a week or two, but I hope Elias and company are not naive enough to change their view of iffy players based on a few weeks of spring training stats. I’m pretty confident they are not. 

Im dreading the game day threads, which can be a ruthless place even in a winning season. :)

24 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

but I hope Elias and company are not naive enough to change their view of iffy players based on a few weeks of spring training stats. 

If you distinguish between spring training stats and other spring training observations, I completely agree. Coaches can and should observe basic fielding, bat-to-ball, etc. during spring training and use that information to make decisions. Those observations come from bullpens, BP, games, everything.

The reason stats don't matter is the opposition isn't playing the same game they play in the regular season. They're not getting the same advanced scouting data/information, game plans against pitchers/hitters, etc. They'll throw more curve balls just trying to tighten that pitch up, for example. So I certainly agree with your post for the most part.

Archived