Yankees aqcuire Nady and Marte from Pirates?

GoldenRay2007

Yeah, what a horrendous deal without knowing the two prospects they're getting back. They got a great OF prospect for what little investment they made in Nady.

What are you talking about? It's no one better than Tabata, that's for sure. I would've kept the picks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sherrill's value keeps going down with every deal. Even though the pitching is thinning, the teams aren't getting the value they should...

We might as well keep him now...

Keeps going down? Did I miss something? Nobody knows what deal is on the table. As far as I'm concerned, two teams who we weren't going to trade Sherill to (Yankees and Diamondbacks) are now out of the running. It's really between Street and Sherill now in terms of teams wanting more than a 2 month rental. In my opinion, Sherrill's value is the same it was yesterday, and the day before. I think too many deals are read here and people freak out. Lets let this thing play out. The fact that the Orioles have 5 more days until the deadline is incredible. Let Mcphail massage this thing out, don't rush to judgement here. He's earned it.

What are you talking about? It's no one better than Tabata, that's for sure. I would've kept the picks.

Tabata is a top 5 prospect in a very solid system. Marte wasn't signing with anyone if he became a type A free agent, period. Thats a good haul for the Pirates.

1 less reliever available?

That is true.

But, it is also one less team LOOKING for a reliever. ;)

True, but it might make the rest of the teams a little more desperate to get something done. Let's hope somebody panics...

Supposedly the price for Marte was high, PITT thinking he would be a Type A, doubt many teams other teams would want him this winter if they had to give up a 1st rounder and a supplemental. Think the Bucs caved to get rid of Nady.

Both the pitching prospects despite that age of Coke look to be decent strikeout pitchers. If they can get the walks down they could be productive major leaguers.

If Tabata comes around, he and McCutchen who is 21 would be a very good tandem in the OF for years. Tabata headcase issues have been largely because of the pressure NY put on him.

Tabata is a top 5 prospect in a very solid system. Marte wasn't signing with anyone if he became a type A free agent, period. Thats a good haul for the Pirates.

Tabata's stock has definitely fallen this year. If he is still at #5, it is because the rest of the system is not that great. History says don't take the NYY hype at face value.:eektf:

“The expectations of who I am supposed to be and what I am supposed to do finally got to me,” Tabata told The Trenton Times through a translator. “I made an irrational decision. Maybe it was immaturity, inexperience or just that I didn’t know how to handle what was happening. I just kept thinking I am not producing the way I should be and maybe I didn’t belong here.”

Tabata was No. 37 on Baseball America’s list of the top 100 prospects in the game before the season started.

“I just felt like I had to go,” Tabata said. “It was a rash decision. … I thought about it a little and realized I am not a quitter.”

Source: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/05/03/tabata-returns-from-suspension/

I doubt he has the same expectations put on him in Pittsburgh. He also will have a little more time as Pitt has a ton of outfielders right now.

Talk about a horrendous deal for the Pirates.

I believe you are right. Tabata is still a good prospect but sort of like our Billy Rowell he has struggled this year. He is supposed to be 19 years old so it is still early. The others seem like throw ins. Yankee money to the damn rescue again.

It's a bad deal for the Pirates. Players are being acquired pretty cheap. They O's should become buyers too.

Interesting trade. I have to believe a combo of Sherrill and Huff would command more. Guess it still boils down to finding a team that fits.

The Yankees have acquired Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte from the Pirates for Jose Tabata, Ross Ohlendorf, George Kontos and Phil Coke, the New York Post reports.

Just adding confirmation on all four players received by the Pirates. Physicals still need to take place. Tabata is out for the year, but the Pirates already know that. He's the one special talent they're getting back. The other three prospects are all pitchers, and none are sure things to turn into reliable major leaguers. With the way the Pirates were talking, it sounded like they were content to stand pat unless they received great offers for their players. That obviously wasn't the case. It's not necessarily a steal for the Yankees -- Nady was due to fade anyway and now gets to face a whole new set of pitchers -- but for the price, it's hard to argue with the deal from their standpoint.

Interesting trade. I have to believe a combo of Sherrill and Huff would command more. Guess it still boils down to finding a team that fits.

The Yankees have acquired Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte from the Pirates for Jose Tabata, Ross Ohlendorf, George Kontos and Phil Coke, the New York Post reports.

Just adding confirmation on all four players received by the Pirates. Physicals still need to take place. Tabata is out for the year, but the Pirates already know that. He's the one special talent they're getting back. The other three prospects are all pitchers, and none are sure things to turn into reliable major leaguers. With the way the Pirates were talking, it sounded like they were content to stand pat unless they received great offers for their players. That obviously wasn't the case. It's not necessarily a steal for the Yankees -- Nady was due to fade anyway and now gets to face a whole new set of pitchers -- but for the price, it's hard to argue with the deal from their standpoint.

There's a thread in the MLB forum

Archived