Opening day lineup?

ChuckS

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Trumbo, Sisco and when he comes up, Mountcastle.

so that’s 3-4 on the 25-man, and isn’t that 3-4 too many? One, we can live with. But not a Squad.

Trumbo is strictly DH and Mountcastle isn't on the 25 man. Sisco cant be that bad iF they are sticking with him.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Trumbo, Sisco and when he comes up, Mountcastle.

so that’s 3-4 on the 25-man, and isn’t that 3-4 too many? One, we can live with. But not a Squad.

Trumbo is not going to be on the team after this season and could potentially be gone by mid-season and Sisco is a catcher or he's nothing.  Mountcastle is the only potential 1B/DH that you named that has any future relevance. 

35 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Sisco cant be that bad iF they are sticking with him.

None of the others are really knocking down the door, or healthy.

Sucre has great defense and the best arm, but can't hit. Susac can't stay healthy and is streaky. Perez isn't showing any of the skills that he was lauded for. Wynns isn't healthy. Cervenka wasn't making it barring a 1.000 average and Johnny Bench defense this spring.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

None of the others are really knocking down the door, or healthy.

Sucre has great defense and the best arm, but can't hit. Susac can't stay healthy and is streaky. Perez isn't showing any of the skills that he was lauded for. Wynns isn't healthy. Cervenka wasn't making it barring a 1.000 average and Johnny Bench defense this spring.

This is why I’m all but certain Elias first draft pick will be Adley Rutschman.

41 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Trumbo is not going to be on the team after this season and could potentially be gone by mid-season and Sisco is a catcher or he's nothing.  Mountcastle is the only potential 1B/DH that you named that has any future relevance. 

My point is that the whole lot of them offer offense without defense, we can stick a couple of them at DH, but all all of them. I agree with you about Sisco, but bad defense at catcher remains bad defense, And you omitted Mancini, who is useless in left field. And you also omitted Davis, with whom we are stuck for the foreseeable future. So The point remains valid.no Núñez 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is why I’m all but certain Elias first draft pick will be Adley Rutschman.

He could be, but realize the timeline:

Drafted in 2019, most likely in Aberdeen.

2020 - Delmarva, but could end up at Frederick if he shows well in Aberdeen.

2021 - Bowie. Possibly a taste of Norfolk if dominant.

2022 - Norfolk, with a chance of a call up.

2023 - Hello Baltimore.

This is based on Elias talking about wanting players to show they can handle their level in the minors before moving up.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

My point is that the whole lot of them offer offense without defense, we can stick a couple of them at DH, but all all of them. I agree with you about Sisco, but bad defense at catcher remains bad defense, And you omitted Mancini, who is useless in left field. And you also omitted Davis, with whom we are stuck for the foreseeable future. So The point remains valid.no Núñez 

Make that: My point is that the whole lot of them try to offer offense without defense

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

2023 - Hello Baltimore.

This is based on Elias talking about wanting players to show they can handle their level in the minors before moving up.

College catcher, no way it takes him that long to make it to Baltimore unless he really struggles in the minors. 

38 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

2023 - Hello Baltimore.

34 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

College catcher, no way it takes him that long to make it to Baltimore unless he really struggles in the minors. 

I’d also hope that the number one overall pick makes it to the majors before his age 25 season. If he is unable to do that, I’ll have serious questions as to whether he will be anything more than serviceable (I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that Rutschman is the pick, but if he is, I certainly hope he, like Posey, “graduates” by the time he is 23).

Given the pedigree of his college program, I would think Aberdeen is not in the cards. I would predict Frederick, Bowie, and he moves up if drafted in two more years to the show. A lot of this has to do with the level he plays at now, which is basically high A ball. 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

2023 - Hello Baltimore.

If he's as good as advertised (I've watched him play numerous times and he is impressive) he'll be in the big leagues sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

Sad to see Davis and Trumbo taking away two  spots for the young guys. They have nothing left to prove to us. We have new guys who we know can put up better numbers.  

I never like giving up on any season before it starts, but the best thing Davis and Trumbo could do in 2019 is help the Orioles secure the first pick in the 2020 draft.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I never like giving up on any season before it starts, but the best thing Davis and Trumbo could do in 2019 is help the Orioles secure the first pick in the 2020 draft.

The pitching staff has the #1 pick in 2020 locked up. Hopefully Trumbo plays well enough that we could trade him. He just has an AL only trade market. 

4 hours ago, Yachtsman said:

Given the pedigree of his college program, I would think Aberdeen is not in the cards. I would predict Frederick, Bowie, and he moves up if drafted in two more years to the show. A lot of this has to do with the level he plays at now, which is basically high A ball. 

They may send the top pick to a lower level to start out as a boost to the Orioles affiliates. Even if only for a short period of time.  

Archived