Defying expectations

LocoChris

What would you consider exceeding expectations this year? Most national writers don’t expect us to win 60, but what about you? Would winning 60 games exceed your expectations? What about 65? 

Personally I’d never be so thrilled with winning 70 games as I would this year, even if it knocks us down the draft order a few slots, as it would mean our young players are developing well. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Immediate reaction is losing less than 100 games, if we're talking about as a whole team.  Individually there's a quite a few guys who could fit that bill.  Chance Sisco looking more like a major league catcher, Austin Hays returning to top 100 prospect form, Dylan Bundy looking like a reliable starter again, Chris Davis not being a total black hole offensively.  There's many different ways defying expectations can go.

63 wins and I'm happy.  Actually more than happy because I expect the teardown to continue and I hope it's finished by the end of the season.  Happiness will primarily rest on how much progress is made with "The Process".

29 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Immediate reaction is losing less than 100 games, if we're talking about as a whole team.  Individually there's a quite a few guys who could fit that bill.  Chance Sisco looking more like a major league catcher, Austin Hays returning to top 100 prospect form, Dylan Bundy looking like a reliable starter again, Chris Davis not being a total black hole offensively.  There's many different ways defying expectations can go.

I agree - immediate reaction is less than 100 losses. But, I think expectations would be to see some guys establish themselves as pieces of the puzzle in the future. I'm pretty low on pretty much everyone who is going to be on the Opening Day roster - I'd like for some guys to make me wrong.

If this team doesn't lose 100, it's probably because the organization is night-and-day better from an analytics perspective. Guys we think stink somehow become much better. If you squint hard enough with orange-colored glasses, you can find three potentially good starters and serviceable production out of #4/5 from starters and/or smart and strategic use of openers, a bullpen that might have enough arms to hold on to some leads, better defense and enough hits sprinkled throughout the lineup to be a #20ish lineup in runs. Add to that the potential for a solid infusion of young talent later this year and I can imagine a scenario where we get to 70 wins.

But I'm still at 105 losses. Lol.

I think we need to realize how few of our current 40 man roster guys are going to be part of our next good team. It really doesn’t matter if Hess  is good this season, he’s not a part of any team that wins 90 games, and the same can be said about most of the guys we have. however, even though the guys we have aren’t great, the change from last year, when we had no  speed, no Versatility, no defense, and I mean, no defense, And terrible morale, I think we should be able to hit 63 Without trouble. I honestly think that just removing all the negatives From last year should be  Worth 20 wins right there.

1 hour ago, now said:

Why Not ???

1988: lllll 54-107

1989: lllll 87-75

o

My assertion from another thread is that the 2019 Orioles will get mathematically eliminated from the division title on the next-to-the-last day of the season by the eventual AL East division champions (the Red Sox) on their homefield ........ just like the 1989 Orioles did, when they dropped a 4-3 decision to the eventual AL East division champion Blue Jays at the SkyDome in late September of 1989.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1989/B09300TOR1989.htm

o

I think anything more than 81 wins and somehow being a .500 team or better would be a pretty big surprise and drastically exceed expectations.  I'm probably more bullish on them than many others, I dunno, I'm just sensing a vibe that some of these young players might step up, and they might not be as bad as we think they will be.  I don't think they'll be .500, but I could see them with somewhere between 70 and 75 wins.  I dunno, maybe it'll prove to be a mirage, but pretty much EVERYTHING had to go wrong last year to get the result that they did, and I expect some things this year to go better than expected.  We'll see.

Archived