Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think the players do a poor job of negotiating their union contracts.  All they seem to care about is free agents.  You can spend 5 years in minors before being added to 40 man (Well before Rule 5 eligible could be longer if you aren't picked) and then another 3 years in minors on 40 man.  And then 6 years in majors before free agency.  That is 14 years.  Kind of crazy.  Subtract one year if you are picked in college.  But you would be older.  

— A player must have signed when they were 19 years or older and played professional baseball for four years are eligible. Players who signed at 18 and have played five years are also eligible.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/12/13/rule-5-draft-explained-major-league-baseball

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I have said before if you hit age 28 or 29 make the player a free agent.  Then they get rid of all this service time manipulation.  Why does Macahdo deserve to be a free agent at 26 and Bleier doesn't get a chance until he is 36?  Doesn't make sense. 

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Like I have said before if you hit age 28 or 29 make the player a free agent.  Then they get rid of all this service time manipulation.  Why does Macahdo deserve to be a free agent at 26 and Bleier doesn't get a chance until he is 36?  Doesn't make sense. 

Because exceptional talent is rare and is more often rewarded?

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think the players do a poor job of negotiating their union contracts.  All they seem to care about is free agents.  You can spend 5 years in minors before being added to 40 man (Well before Rule 5 eligible could be longer if you aren't picked) and then another 3 years in minors on 40 man.  And then 6 years in majors before free agency.  That is 14 years.  Kind of crazy.  Subtract one year if you are picked in college.  But you would be older.  

By definition all of the members in the union are MLB players.  As currently constructed, they don't have a ton of incentive to bargain on behalf of non-MLB players (i.e. guys in the minors).

11 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

By definition all of the members in the union are MLB players.  As currently constructed, they don't have a ton of incentive to bargain on behalf of non-MLB players (i.e. guys in the minors).

(i.e. their replacements)

Please don't believe the 2013 article from the "data scientists" at the Bleecher Report. Arm injuries are associated with higher pitch counts. See actual peer reviewed literature. Here are a couple of examples. 

https://www.sportsmed.org/aossmimis/Members/About/Press_Releases/2018-Annual-Meeting/Pitch-Counts-and-Injury-Prevention.aspx

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/reducing-pitching-injuries-count-pitches-don-t-count-on-surgery/

Here's a good section from the first article.

Table 1. Recommended guidelines to reduce injury risk in pitchers

• Watch for signs of fatigue: decreased ball velocity, decreased accuracy, elbow dropping below shoulder, trunk remaining upright during pitching, taking more time in between pitches.
  • No overhead throwing for 3-4 months every year.
  • Follow pitch-count limitations during school and “club/travel” seasons.
  • Avoid pitching for multiple teams and overlapping seasons.
  • Emphasis on proper mechanics.
  • Do not allow a pitcher to pitch with pain or fatigue until medically evaluated.
  • Avoid playing pitching and catching positions in same game to limit arm strain.
  • Encourage multi-sport participation.

Table 2. Risk factors for an injury requiring surgery

Averaging more than 80 pitches per game – increase surgery risk 4X

Pitching competitively more than 8 months per year – increase surgery risk 5X

Pitchers who regularly pitched to arm fatigue – increase surgery risk 36X

Go by the numbersThis has quite probably been covered already, but I wanted to ask just in case. It has been pointed out that the final two balls hit off of David were very hard, but at somebody, and that is been offered for justification to pull him.

However, he had been working smoothly, without any kind of stress, and very efficiently, and the game was comfortably in hand(at the time)so the argument could also have been made to leave him in to perhaps finish the inning.

My question is whether there’s any sense that Hyde will ONLY Go by the numbers?

I personally think that he is creative or analytical on a situational basis, but I’d be interested in what the crowd thinks?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Go by the numbersThis has quite probably been covered already, but I wanted to ask just in case. It has been pointed out that the final two balls hit off of David were very hard, but at somebody, and that is been offered for justification to pull him.

However, he had been working smoothly, without any kind of stress, and very efficiently, and the game was comfortably in hand(at the time)so the argument could also have been made to leave him in to perhaps finish the inning.

I personally think that he is creative or analytical on a situational basis, but I’d be interested in what the crowd thinks?

I can't speak for others, but I think there were a lot of things going against Hyde keeping Hess in the game last night. Pitch count, line drives, having a big lead so he could use the back of the bullpen, losing velocity, losing location, 3 days rest, early in the season so arm strength isn't necessarily optimal yet, etc.

Who knows what he would do if Hess hit his pitch count with 2 outs in the 8th? I think context does matter, but you only push a guy so far in a meaningless April game for a team that isn't likely to compete in October. Now if it was October 4, our bullpen was spent and Hess was the best guy we have in a very important game, I'd wager things might be a bit different. 

53 minutes ago, Malike said:

Because exceptional talent is rare and is more often rewarded?

Yeah but Machado would get rewarded through arbitration before free agency.  What is Bleier going to end up with? Some $500k a year contracts?

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

PS I am unable to edit my comment, so I will attempt to be more careful in future, but I’m afraid people will have to read a lot of garbled comments from me.

You can get a plus account. 

28 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think Hyde has the latitude to make decisions on a situational basis, but is going to apply the information the front office has provided pretty routinely, rather than going against it based on a gut feeling.   

Archived