DL Hall 2019

weams

8 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Like Rodriguez, he hasn't pitched enough innings to qualify but his ERA of 3.36 would place him third in the league. He's first in the league in strikeouts with 111. Maybe he can really take off next year in AA.

It's absurd that he can't qualify for the ERA race but still leads in strikeouts.  That's awesome.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's absurd that he can't qualify for the ERA race but still leads in strikeouts.  That's awesome.

He leads by a pretty wide margin, too.   111 strikeouts in 75 innings.   Next is 100 strikeouts in 105 innings.  

Unfortunately, he’s also 3rd in walks, with 51 (53 leads the league).

The whole “not qualifying” thing can be a bit misleading.   Hall is 24th in IP, in a 10 team league.   Not many pitchers qualify.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He leads by a pretty wide margin, too.   111 strikeouts in 75 innings.   Next is 100 strikeouts in 105 innings.  

The whole “not qualifying” thing can be a bit misleading.   Hall is 24th in IP, in a 10 team league.   Not many pitchers qualify.

That's pretty crazy, since Mountcastle qualified for the batting title, playing just half a season.

50 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

That's pretty crazy, since Mountcastle qualified for the batting title, playing just half a season.

The minors use .8 innings per game as their qualifying standard. The Keys have played 108 games, so it would take 87 innings to qualify.  There are 18 pitchers in the league who meet that threshold.    Remember, a lot of pitchers don’t stay in one league all year, either.   Michael Baumann has thrown 92.2 innings, but it’s split between Frederick and Bowie so he won’t qualify in either league.    Right now, Brenan Hanifee is the only Frederick pitcher who qualifies.   Cameron Bishop is close and might qualify.    Neither of them is winning the ERA title.  

By the way, despite not qualifying, I’d say Hall would be in the running for Carolina League pitcher of the year, and might be ranked as the top pitching prospect in the league.   He’s the youngest pitcher in the league, leads in strikeouts, leads starters in K/9, and of the 24 pitchers who’ve thrown at least 75 innings, he ranks 6th in ERA.  Hopefully he finishes the year strong and makes his case.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hall had one more strikeout than Kyle Johnston when Johnston got traded earlier this week.

According to my calculations there are only 11 pitchers in the Carolina League that have been in the starting rotation in the Carolina League the whole season

Especially at the beginning of the season, Hall was very inefficient and threw a lot of pitches per inning.

I have had Hall as the best pitching prospect in the Carolina League all year.  With Brady Singer and Jackson Kowar promoted and Daniel Lynch injured, Hall is clearly the best pitching prospect among active players now.  Kris Bubic is next. Lynch should be back soon, but I have Hall a bit higher.

My choice for pitcher of the year in the Carolina League is Noah Zavolas, who has been more consistent.

I am not a fan of promoting pitching prospects late in the season.  See Matt Riley.