How many current Orioles would not be on another ML roster?

Brion McClanahan

I would go with five maybe seven:

Fry (maybe)

Wright

Sucre (maybe)

Davis

Martin

Ruiz

Mullins

Davis, of course, is the biggest problem, because of the contract, but with an almost negative 3 WAR, anyone would be better (Diaz??) and it could be justified by saying they are making Davis's salary.

Davis is done. No one would put him on either an ML or MIL roster. There shouldn't be a worry about someone else "fixing" him. He is not a ML player any longer with the bat. Glove, yes. Bat, no.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis is iffy honestly as anyone who would have him would be stuck with some large sum of money if he was cut, although nobody would have given him such a junk heap of a contract.  

Of the position players I think only Mancini and Villar would be on a normal MLB roster.  Nunez might be on some rebuilding teams and Rickard might find a spot on a non competing team decimated by OF injuries.  

For starters: Cobb, Cashner and Bundy would be on MLB rosters, although Bundy might just be for the same reason as Davis, in that he has a contract and isn't going to the Minors.  The way bullpens and injuries go im torn on most of our bullpen arms but I don't think any of them would be on a competitive healthy team.  You would think Givens would have a spot on most teams but hes having a pretty terrible season so far.  

You could almost ask it the other way: how many Orioles would definitely be on a big league roster if they weren’t on the O’s?   Villar, Mancini, Cobb, Givens are about the only ones I’d say definitely would be.   Straily, Bundy, Castro and Bleier are probables.    Everyone else 50/50 or worse.   That's not necessarily a knock on whether some of those players might turn into decent major leaguers.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You could almost ask it the other way ........ how many Orioles would definitely be on a big league roster if they werent on the Orioles? Villar, Mancini, Cobb, Givens are about the only ones Id say definitely would be. Straily, Bundy, Castro, and Bleier are probables. Everyone else is 50/50, or worse. That's not necessarily a knock on whether some of those players might turn into decent Major Leaguers someday.

o

I think that Dwight Smith, Jr would be.

o

8 minutes ago, Natty said:

Remember last year, nobody wanted Cobb. He was a free agent and did not get any offers. Then at the last minute we signed him. 

Not sure what you said is accurate.

Cobb was one of the top 5 FA SP according to MLBTR and according to MLBTR the Rays was thought going to make a QO to Cobb.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure what you said is accurate.

Cobb was one of the top 5 FA SP according to MLBTR and according to MLBTR the Rays was thought going to make a QO to Cobb.

Not sure what you meant to say there.  Cobb did have a QO attached and the O's forfeited a second round pick to sign him.

I think Miguel Castro could be on another ML team. He hasn't looked good this year, but I think others would give him a chance. The O's have ridden him like a rented horse. After opening day, where he did not pitch, he pitched in 4 of the next 7 games, and warmed up in a 5th. The home run off him  by the yankees went about 366' ended up in the first row and would have been a routine fly out in many other parks.  Don't think he's that good? DFA him and find out.

7 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

I think Miguel Castro could be on another ML team. He hasn't looked good this year, but I think others would give him a chance. The O's have ridden him like a rented horse. After opening day, where he did not pitch, he pitched in 4 of the next 7 games, and warmed up in a 5th. The home run off him  by the yankees went about 366' ended up in the first row and would have been a routine fly out in many other parks.  Don't think he's that good? DFA him and find out.

I wish his big fastball led to more strikeouts. His k rate seems to have dropped since becoming an Oriole.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday.  I know its a rebuild, and I get it.  But the owners and the Orioles did not give me, a season ticket holder, any discount on my plan because we are in a rebuild.  They did not give me free parking because we are rebuilding.  No, they expect me to pay the same amount for a minor league club to get our asses beaten night after night, but then when anyone complains they say, "Sorry, didn't you get the memo...we are in a rebuild."  Frankly, its very irritating.  But they got me hook line and sinker as I dished out my bucks for a long losing season of Orioles baseball.  And for what?  As this thread states...to watch guys that wouldn't even be on any other team in baseball.  That is just pathetic.  

So it got me to thinking...wouldn't this team be at least competitive paying league minimum wages to Cisco, Hayes, Mountcastle, Diaz; resigning Manny to a ridiculously overpriced deal; and resigning Jones to the same deal he got in Arizona.  Add those six players to Mancini, Villar, and Smith Jr, and now we have a halfway decent club.  

Instead, I'm expected to pay full price for a pathetic noncompetitive team.  But hey...I knew what I was getting myself into when I re-upped, so this one's on me.  I'm the fool here.  

4 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I was actually thinking about this yesterday.  I know its a rebuild, and I get it.  But the owners and the Orioles did not give me, a season ticket holder, any discount on my plan because we are in a rebuild.  They did not give me free parking because we are rebuilding.  No, they expect me to pay the same amount for a minor league club to get our asses beaten night after night, but then when anyone complains they say, "Sorry, didn't you get the memo...we are in a rebuild."  Frankly, its very irritating.  But they got me hook line and sinker as I dished out my bucks for a long losing season of Orioles baseball.  And for what?  As this thread states...to watch guys that wouldn't even be on any other team in baseball.  That is just pathetic.  

So it got me to thinking...wouldn't this team be at least competitive paying league minimum wages to Cisco, Hayes, Mountcastle, Diaz; resigning Manny to a ridiculously overpriced deal; and resigning Jones to the same deal he got in Arizona.  Add those six players to Mancini, Villar, and Smith Jr, and now we have a halfway decent club.  

Instead, I'm expected to pay full price for a pathetic noncompetitive team.  But hey...I knew what I was getting myself into when I re-upped, so this one's on me.  I'm the fool here.  

Right half way decent.

But the other half is pitching.

I admit I don't get the send everyone to the minors aside of Mullins thing.  I don't get Diaz at double AA again, I don't get Sisco and Stewart at AAA.

Archived