Attendance 2019

Frobby

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

NYC and San Fransisco may be true but Maryland has highest percentage of millionaires in the country and has the highest median income. I think you are short changing the area.  Everyone I know makes a six figure salary.  In general people in this area have plenty of money. Whether they choose to spend it on a baseball game is another story. With tons of school teachers making six figure salaries in baltimore city your comment is bordering on the absurd.

I have always thought the millionaires, and much of the wealth in Maryland, were concentrated in the D.C. suburbs. And that those Washington suburbanites were a major factor in fueling pre-Nats Camden Yards attendance and, when lost, are not likely to return.

23 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I have always thought the millionaires, and much of the wealth in Maryland, were concentrated in the D.C. suburbs. And that those Washington suburbanites were a major factor in fueling pre-Nats Camden Yards attendance and, when lost, are not likely to return.

For median family income in the state:Howard County is #1, Anne Arundel #4,  Carroll #6 and Harford #10  Plenty of money around here.  And Baltimore County from the north of the city to the PA line has a ton of high income people. 

To me the attendance numbers are pretty easy to explain. 

One, the area has the Nationals now so our ceiling is much lower, probably 2.75m or so instead of 3.75m like in the 90's.  The team lost about 400k fans in 2006, the year after the Nats arrived, and another 200k in 2008 when Nats Park opened.

Two is results.  Since the two Nats items above, attendance has pretty much scaled to results.  We got to about 2.5m in 2014.  Add a championship and we might be able to do 3m, max.

What's the floor?  Don't know.  1.5m last year was Camden's lowest.  We might do even less this year.  But I'm confident that if the team starts playing better, the ceiling hasn't changed much.

26 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Maybe the Baltimore City government can start getting cleaned up now that Mayor Pugh's home was searched by the FBI this morning. But I'm guessing it won't, I think the state has to step in if Baltimore is to ever really get fixed. The city government left to it's own devices will always remain corrupt.

The city was turning itself around right before the unrest,riots. It can be done again but will take many years. 211 homicides in 2014,  342 in 2015. The new police commissioner is a good first step ,I think. Need a new mayor and a different outlook.

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/?range=2014

6 minutes ago, Slappy said:

One, the area has the Nationals now so our ceiling is much lower, probably 2.75m or so instead of 3.75m like in the 90's.  The team lost about 400k fans in 2006, the year after the Nats arrived, and another 200k in 2008 when Nats Park opened.

Two is results.  Since the two Nats items above, attendance has pretty much scaled to results.  We got to about 2.5m in 2014.  Add a championship and we might be able to do 3m, max.

What's the floor?  Don't know.  1.5m last year was Camden's lowest.  We might do even less this year.  But I'm confident that if the team starts playing better, the ceiling hasn't changed much.

2.5 million seems to be right around what the Nationals draw.  Since 2005 their highest total was 2.6 million.  2.5 million seems to be a good number of fans. The Nationals drew that last year and were 11th in the league in attendance. 

4 minutes ago, Slappy said:

And you get around 200,000 Yankee and Red Sox fans ,no matter how the Orioles play.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The city was turning itself around right before the unrest,riots. It can be done again but will take many years. 211 homicides in 2014,  342 in 2015. The new police commissioner is a good first step ,I think. Need a new mayor and a different outlook.

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/?range=2014

Well the state and the feds are now trying people in federal court as Baltimore City judges won't put anyone in jail.  They just put some gang members from Cherry Hill in jail.  

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Sugar coating?  I did no such thing.  I believe I said regardless of where readers here believe the city lies, the Orioles have an obvious stake in seeing that the venue is safe and provides a nurturing experience for all fans.  And yes, regardless of ones opinions the Orioles are the only team in US professional sports to hold a contest with no fans so that the games could be played safely.  I also said, that I have never felt unsafe at the complex.

Baltimore is less safe than most places in the world?  Seriously?  I won't slam any other city, US or otherwise that has issues with violence.  But saying that Baltimore is among the most dangerous places in the world, is essentially forfeiting the opportunity to have any type of civil and honest discussion.  

I love Baltimore, I live there, but I even have to admit it is pretty rough. But, it's not THAT bad. Some people like to act like its downtown Fallujah. Addicts and homeless people aren't the boogeyman - they're people who need help.

But, that being said, I don't think it really has anything to do with Camden Yards attendance. The team just hasn't been very good in the past thirty years.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

On a Friday. 

I thought about going tomorrow but looks like they jacked the prices up for the game.  Can’t understand why as the Rays aren’t a big draw and there are tons and tons of tickets available.