Sedlock off to a good start

orioles22

16 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Teams have been working around innings limits for several years now. The goal is to have them continually throw more innings, but also throw over the course of a full season. I'm not saying it will work. I'm saying he was our #1 draft pick and he had a starter profile before injury. Now we're trying to get him back into condition so he can regain his future. In the process, he's put up really good numbers and reports are that his stuff is getting close to where it was before the injury.

Why on earth would we stop the plan? I understand changing our player valuation based on his injury and current stuff, but it seems way too early to me to stop his progression considering we're just over 1/2 way through his first real season back being healthy. 

He did real well in April and May - going starters innings..  He hasn't done well in June and July in the few innings he's been allowed to pitch.  

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Big Mac said:

But that's not really what they are doing.  He was taking his usual turns through the rotation in Frederick in April and May, going 5.2, 5, 5, 6, 6, 4, 7 and 5 IP in each of those outings.  He only had 37 IP last year and 90 IP the year before due to injuries, I'd guess they want to cap him at 100 IP max this year, possibly even less.  He is at 64 IP on the season and having him do 3 IP stints in relief for the rest of the season allows them to control his innings without shutting him down early.  I'd think the plan is to do this and if he stays healthy he should be ready for a normal starter's workload next year. 

Lol, that is what they are really doing.  Last I checked June and July is more current than April and May.  

16 hours ago, Pheasants said:

Three innings every 6 no, but they may increase the frequency.  I look at the number of pitchers who are normally going 5 or 6 innings as starters or piggy backing with someone and going 4 each and I wonder if that could be the future.  Have 10 guys at Baltimore who can pitch 5 innings well and continually piggy back them.  Almost never have to worry about the third time through the lineup.  They can all air it out a bit more.  Let starters go beyond 5 only if they are really dominating like Baumann or Hanifee the last times.  Any of them can start and any can relieve, if they are even enough.  Match the pitchers up so a finesse guy piggy backs with a power pitcher.  In AAA, even Straily has shown the ability to do three clean before he runs out of wind.  Ynoa might be workable if he got consistent.  Then you could have a pitcher to clean things up if someone falters.

Good post.  That might be the way they should go.  

48 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Lol, that is what they are really doing.  Last I checked June and July is more current than April and May.  

So they should continue to give him starters innings all season and ignore the fact he only threw 30 innings last year? Got it. You probably miss the days starters threw 150 pitches too. This isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp, they won't him to throw a full season while managing his innings. 

54 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He did real well in April and May - going starters innings..  He hasn't done well in June and July in the few innings he's been allowed to pitch.  

He had 11.4 K/9 in June and has 13.4 K/9 so far in July. 

2 hours ago, Big Mac said:

So they should continue to give him starters innings all season and ignore the fact he only threw 30 innings last year? Got it. You probably miss the days starters threw 150 pitches too. This isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp, they won't him to throw a full season while managing his innings. 

I mean... there is something in between, isn't there?  I might agree with you if he was a kid, but he's 24.  If he ends up being a starter in the majors, I'll be surprised.  Anyway, let's drop it already.   

There is an issue with contact quality on the fastball which could be driving the BABIP to some degree. It’s a starter’s repertoire for sure but my concern is whether the fastball will play at the MLB level at (90-94), which is what makes relief more likely IMO, he’d be lights out with a couple more ticks.

Going to jinx him, but Sedlock is off to a good start tonight, too. It's his first start since getting promoted to Bowie. 6K's through 3 innings. No hits, but 2 walks. Maybe this kid will turn out to be a piece. Can't help but keep coming back to the feeling that getting a 1st round pick, a guy who clearly had good stuff but many of us considered a lost cause, may be able to contribute is such a big boost of the system. 

5 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Going to jinx him, but Sedlock is off to a good start tonight, too. It's his first start since getting promoted to Bowie. 6K's through 3 innings. No hits, but 2 walks. Maybe this kid will turn out to be a piece. Can't help but keep coming back to the feeling that getting a 1st round pick, a guy who clearly had good stuff but many of us considered a lost cause, may be able to contribute is such a big boost of the system. 

He truly was a lost cause, he'd lost all of his stuff, I saw him live in 2017 and 2018 and it was bad. This is an amazing comeback, a tribute to his determination. But not anything you'd ever project to happen. 

10 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Keep in mind that Richmond is by far the worst hitting team in the Eastern League. They average 3.35 runs per game, the next lowest team averages 3.71 runs per game and the league average is 4.03.

That said, I hate to just scout the stat line, but it seems like he will need to be added to the 40-man roster before the Rule 5 draft.

@Luke-OH, based on what you have seen this season, do you think he could stick in an MLB bullpen if he was selected in the Rule 5 draft?

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Keep in mind that Richmond is by far the worst hitting team in the Eastern League. They average 3.35 runs per game, the next lowest team averages 3.71 runs per game and the league average is 4.03.

That said, I hate to just scout the stat line, but it seems like he will need to be added to the 40-man roster before the Rule 5 draft.

@Luke-OH, based on what you have seen this season, do you think he could stick in an MLB bullpen if he was selected in the Rule 5 draft?

He'd need to get a few ticks in relief and dial in the fastball command a little. The slider and change will play in the majors. I think he gets picked if unprotected, not sure if he sticks. 

17 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Is there someone better that needs to be on our 40-man next season?

Sedlock at 70 pitches through 5, allowing only 3 walks and with 7 strikeouts. His season high in pitches is 87 this season, so he would have to be really economical with his pitches over the final two innings to get through 7.

He ended up getting pulled after 5 innings. I thought he was going to go out for one more.

Archived