Sedlock off to a good start

orioles22

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good chance Sedlock begins next year at Bowie, I think.   He’s done reasonably well there overall but I think Elias will want him to have some more AA innings under his belt before moving him up.   

Yeah, I agree. There is enough competition for starting innings at Norfolk anyway, especially at the beginning of the season.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, I agree. There is enough competition for starting innings at Norfolk anyway, especially at the beginning of the season.

I’m assuming a Norfolk rotation of Akin, Zimmermann, Kremer, Lowther and Wells to begin the season.     They might give Akin a shot at the Baltimore rotation, but I’m guessing they’ll want him in Norfolk to begin the season.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m assuming a Norfolk rotation of Akin, Zimmermann, Kremer, Lowther and Wells to begin the season.     They might give Akin a shot at the Baltimore rotation, but I’m guessing they’ll want him in Norfolk to begin the season.   

Where is Baumann?

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Where is Baumann?

Oops, completely forgot about Baumann.    That’s a tough one.    He may have leapfrogged several of the guys I listed in terms of prospect status, but he’s well behind them in AA innings.    I’ll guess he remains at Bowie until the first Norfolk starter is called to the majors.    But it won’t surprise me if he goes to Norfolk and they hold someone else back.    

16 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He has only thrown 25 innings at Bowie so I wouldn't promote him yet. And I'm not 100 percent sure yet that he isn't a starter. Most important thing is to have a full healthy season next year to figure it out.

Are you at least 90% sure?

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Are you at least 90% sure?

Yeah 90 percent is probably about right.

But he needs the reps either way, and there will be available innings at Bowie where he will have thrown less than 40 innings. Give him a full healthy offseason and half a season as a starter and see how he looks, if his future still looks like relief then bring him to Norfolk to crank it up as a 1-2 inning guy and then if he plays well, to Baltimore in September.

That is, by the way, exactly what they did with Hunter Harvey this year, and Harvey had almost the same amount of innings last year at Bowie (32 and a third) albeit less successful innings than Sedlock, and he didn't throw an additional 61 innings in Frederick as Sedlock did this year.

9 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think Baumann opens in Norfolk and Akin is in Baltimore.

Yeah, I think what Akin is in Norfolk this season is about what he is going to top out at at the major league level. I don’t see that changing by starting him at Norfolk again next season.