Sedlock off to a good start

orioles22

He is the guy I would have taken when he was drafted, so I have monitored his career.  I've been hoping that he would recover from his injuries and eventually contribute here in Baltimore.  There is a long way to go, but it's promising that he's showing good progress thus far this season. 

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

He is the guy I would have taken when he was drafted, so I have monitored his career.  I've been hoping that he would recover from his injuries and eventually contribute here in Baltimore.  There is a long way to go, but it's promising that he's showing good progress thus far this season. 

His heavy usage worried me.  If I recall he had some obnoxious pitch counts his last year of college.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His heavy usage worried me.  If I recall he had some obnoxious pitch counts his last year of college.

Yeah, that draft was one where there wasn't anyone I was excited to choose at our spot, but Sedlock seemed the safest of the bunch. Over-usage is something I believe needs to be regulated, because (many/most) coaches care about winning more than protecting the future of their pro prospects.

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah, that draft was one where there wasn't anyone I was excited to choos at our spot, but Sedlock seemed the safest of the bunch. Over-usage is something I believe needs to be regulated, because (many/most) coaches mainly care about winning and not protecting the future of their pro prospects.

It seems strange to me that the high school players don't seem to care about the usage rates. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It seems strange to me that the high school players don't seem to care about the usage rates. 

It’s very hard to remove yourself/have a coach remove you when you feel great and you’re in the middle on an emotional competition. 

One great arm can win a ton for a team at lower levels. Everyone wants to win. There’s a lot of pressure.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It’s very hard to remove yourself/have a coach remove you when you feel great and you’re in the middle on an emotional competition. 

One great arm can win a ton for a team at lower levels. Everyone wants to win. There’s a lot of pressure.

I mean, if I'm a HS pitcher (of the parent of one) who is looking to play baseball long term, I'm going to avoid a college coach that overuses his guys.

Kinda like how Yu Darvish's dad didn't let him get abused.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean, if I'm a HS pitcher (of the parent of one) who is looking to play baseball long term, I'm going to avoid a college coach that overuses his guys.

Kinda like how Yu Darvish's dad didn't let him get abused.

Yeah. Totally agree. That’s not a reputation you want recruiting, but not all recruits are savvy enough to look beyond prior program success.

• 2 weeks later...

Sedlock pitched four shutout innings yesterday, allowing 1 hit and 2 walks while striking out 6.   For some reason he was pulled after 4 IP despite having thrown only 68 pitches.   

Overall his ERA is down to 1.71 with a 0.88 WHIP.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sedlock pitched four shutout innings yesterday, allowing 1 hit and 2 walks while striking out 6.   For some reason he was pulled after 4 IP despite having thrown only 68 pitches.   

Overall his ERA is down to 1.71 with a 0.88 WHIP.

They were trying to get Hanifee innings as well. They've pushed pitchers back a lot with all the rainouts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1