Sedlock off to a good start

orioles22

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Looks like he has 30-plus starts in Class A over three years. He had his troubles, but perhaps he has settled in and is ready for a half season at Bowie.

Troubles is putting it lightly, he lost 8 mph of velocity and had beer league arm speed due to an issue that left his fingers numb after pitching. He was physically off for two years, he looks healthy now.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I need to catch another start soon, he's been really good statistically in May and he looked vastly improved, but not impressive in the two games I watched him pitch in April. 

I look forward to that, it would be a nice surprise if Sedlock becomes a viable piece — based on what Keith Law shared, it sounds like Cody is a dime a dozen minor leaguer.

1 minute ago, Cy Bundy said:

I look forward to that, it would be a nice surprise if Sedlock becomes a viable piece — based on what Keith Law shared, it sounds like Cody is a dime a dozen minor leaguer.

He looked to me like a guy with not quite enough stuff to be a #5 starter who might be able to throw a couple ticks harder and have a bullpen role. Which was a huge improvement from 2018 when he looked absolutely broken, but still not the stuff he had in college.

Sedlock’s strong year has gotten even better lately with a dominant stretch. Over his last four starts in 22 innings he has allowed just eight hits and one run with five walks and 21 strikeouts. That’s an ERA of 0.41.

“I would say to right-hander hitters my slider has been my absolute go-to pitch, and to lefties my changeup has been the go-to pitch,” Sedlock said. “And when I got confidence in both of those, I was able to throw changeups to right-hander hitters and it was doing well and getting swings and misses. And also throw my sliders to left-handed hitters, and also my curveball. I think being able to throw my slider and changeup in fastball counts has been the biggest thing for me.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/05/blaine-knight-and-cody-sedlock-check-out-the-yard-plus-more-dj-stewart.html

It will be interesting to see how Sedlock is handled.

On the one hand, let him pitch healthy for a year and put up strong results.  On the other, I think Bowie will be a great test for him and I'd like to see how he handles that this year.  Maybe another month of strong results and then two months at Bowie to finish the year.

We will see, but I think what we are seeing now is a healthy and very productive Sedlock at High A - which is a great start to the season for him.

7 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

It will be interesting to see how Sedlock is handled.

On the one hand, let him pitch healthy for a year and put up strong results.  On the other, I think Bowie will be a great test for him and I'd like to see how he handles that this year.  Maybe another month of strong results and then two months at Bowie to finish the year.

We will see, but I think what we are seeing now is a healthy and very productive Sedlock at High A - which is a great start to the season for him.

Sedlock turns 24 next month and is in his 3rd full season of pro ball. I couldn't be happier that a former 1st rounder who appeared to be a total dud is not only showing signs of life, but ones of dominance. That said, I want to see what he can do this summer in Bowie. He's been getting better with each start. If he can continue putting up impressive performances in Bowie, the prodigal prospect may have come home and could give our system a big boost. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

They have to decide whether he should be protected from the Rule 5 draft. I think they are probably leaning in that direction but AA would help firm that up.

Very good point.  I’d probably move him at the halfway point of the season, after 3-4 more starts.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You said even currently, he's a fringe #5 starter and possible bullpen piece.  Is that a guy you protect?

Probably, it obviously depends on who you have to leave unprotected or DFA to do so. He’s probably closer to MLB ready than the typical guy in A+ with that profile and his first round pedigree will make it more likely he’ll get picked.

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

What is going on with Sedlock? He hasn't pitched since 5/25.

Good question.   Baumann and Hanifee have both started twice since the last time Sedlock pitched, and Bishop will be pitching for the second time today.    They may just be trying to manage Sedlock’s innings a little, knowing that he only threw 37 innings last year.    

On 5/29/2019 at 8:23 PM, Luke-OH said:

Probably, it obviously depends on who you have to leave unprotected or DFA to do so. He’s probably closer to MLB ready than the typical guy in A+ with that profile and his first round pedigree will make it more likely he’ll get picked.

I wonder if the O's think it's possible that he'll continue to improve his stuff and maybe get back to what he was out of college, with time. That's my uninformed hope.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:23 PM, Luke-OH said:

Hypothetically, if you had to choose between Sedlock and Zimmerman, which would you protect?