Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe she only meant above average.  I'm not clear on how your mom used the word special.  For your sake, I hope she used it judiciously and not liberally.

I think she was just explaining the short yellow bus that picked me up for school at my house.     

10 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I can't figure out why he's not in left every day at Norfolk. Doesn't that position make the most sense with Mancini around, not to mention Nunez and Davis...

Yeah, interesting to note he hasn't been in the OF since July 7th. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Yeah, interesting to note he hasn't been in the OF since July 7th. 

Maybe they simply had to find a place for Stewart?  The biggest problem with making Mountcastle an outfielder is that they have other prospects out there.  If Hayes, Diaz, Stewart, McKenna all hit their top projections, outfield is already crowded, and I don't think they can, at present, throw anyone away to look at Mountcastle.  It is possible that next year, after checking their inventory by evaluating everyone all this year, they can toss Mullins and Stewart into the recycle bin, but for now they are still evaluating.

12 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

Maybe they simply had to find a place for Stewart?  The biggest problem with making Mountcastle an outfielder is that they have other prospects out there.  If Hayes, Diaz, Stewart, McKenna all hit their top projections, outfield is already crowded, and I don't think they can, at present, throw anyone away to look at Mountcastle.  It is possible that next year, after checking their inventory by evaluating everyone all this year, they can toss Mullins and Stewart into the recycle bin, but for now they are still evaluating.

Not to mention Mountcastle could have the weakest arm out of any of them. Also has the least OF experience, but he was a SS, so there should be some range there. 

This has been a good discussion and although I still think some people are being way too negative on Mountcastle over his lack of walks, I will agree that I would like to see him walk a bit more.

Now saying that, three factors play in Mountcastle's favor despite the lack of walks: high avg, plus power and age vs level.

These are all significant factors when looking at a prospect. Now I don't have EV, Hard hit %, xBA, xwOBA, or xSLG data available so we're still just going off his stats and what I've seen by watching his PAs, but I'm guessing those statcast data are pretty high for him.

The game is changing with strikeouts becoming much more prevalent so his K rate doesn't concern me. As i've said before, if Mountcastle was batting .260-.275 I'd have more concerns, but the guy has hit about .300 the last two years in AA and AAA while being significantly young for those levels.

I think in the end, we'll just have to see, but I think his bat will end up looking a lot more like Mancini (potentially with more power) vs a poor man's Trumbo, whatever that really means.

• Upvote 1