Blaine Knight 2019

LookinUp

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the dream is he fills out some.

Not sure it matters that much really. Jacob Degrom is 6-04 180. Blaine Knight is 6-03 170. And word has it Degrom was weighed with 5 pounds of hair and 5 pounds of $1,000 bills in his back pocket. So maybe it isn’t that big a deal to get bigger. ?

36 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Not sure it matters that much really. Jacob Degrom is 6-04 180. Blaine Knight is 6-03 170. And word has it Degrom was weighed with 5 pounds of hair and 5 pounds of $1,000 bills in his back pocket. So maybe it isn’t that big a deal to get bigger. ?

Not sure what that's got to do with the price of tea in China.  Degrom has no need for projectibility, while Knight has a major league need for it.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Not sure what that's got to do with the price of tea in China.  Degrom has no need for projectibility, while Knight has a major league need for it.  

Had nothing to do with your tea over there in China. I was responding to a different post, and there was just a bit of humor in my response, sir. However, there are some similarities in size, which was my point. And I was pointing out that he may not need to fill out to have a fine career. But this was not a comp in ability. 

The honest answer to your original question is, there is some thought he will add some more weight than he already has. Different diet and training than he was doing at Arkansas. Remains to be seen if that will happen. 

35 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

To be fair, DeGrom didn’t throw any harder than Knight coming out of college.

40 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Had nothing to do with your tea over there in China. I was responding to a different post, and there was just a bit of humor in my response, sir. However, there are some similarities in size, which was my point. And I was pointing out that he may not need to fill out to have a fine career. But this was not a comp in ability. 

The honest answer to your original question is, there is some thought he will add some more weight than he already has. Different diet and training than he was doing at Arkansas. Remains to be seen if that will happen. 

Humor you say?  I guess I can allow that, but keep it to a minimum.  Hopefully he makes me look bad (or worse) and has an excellent MLB career.  

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2019 at 12:45 PM, Jammer7 said:

He was 21 when drafted, and turned 22 three weeks later. I agree with what you wrote, I just do not see age as a factor at this point. Relatively speaking, he is a little behind stamina wise. I think slowing his progression in the beginning is smart. I think he may end the year in AA. Perhaps starts at Bowie in 2020 at the age of 23, and then we’ll see.

Not concerned about his "stamina".  He pitched 122.2 innings last year between college and rookie league.  Barring any injury setbacks I think 140-150 innings this year is not unrealistic.

4 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Not concerned about his "stamina".  He pitched 122.2 innings last year between college and rookie league.  Barring any injury setbacks I think 140-150 innings this year is not unrealistic.

Ok, it’s a long professional season. He has never pitched throughout the period of March through early September. Not a concern, just something of a wall around end of June. He’ll learn to work through it and move forward from there. It’s a process.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

To be fair, DeGrom didn’t throw any harder than Knight coming out of college.

And I'm watching young Braves stud Mike Soroka now, and his fastball has been just 91-94 all game long.  He seems to have near perfect command.   

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ruzious said:

This is the quote from the OH prospect rankings:

He brings a four solid average big league pitches including a 91-94 MPH that has good arm-side run and sink and has been clocked as high as 97 on occasion.

I'm not sure how much you need to project. His FB velocity is ok, but not dominant. If it takes a tick or two up, it could be a weapon. His slider is is best pitch. With that said, I personally think it's the change that is where he can take the biggest step forward. I keep mentioning the interview I heard with him. He was a confident guy. He really made it sound like the change wasn't as well developed because they just didn't use it much at Arkansas. If that takes a step forward, he'll have 4 quality ML pitches. From there, it's just a question of command to stay out of the middle of the zone. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:14 AM, Jammer7 said:

Because he has never pitched through a summer. He pitched the college seasons and that was it. He never played travel ball. His dad would not allow it. Saved his arm, and I like it. Just needs to go through the long grind of a season.

He did pitch 112 innings last year between college and pro, which is not a small amount.   

On 4/30/2019 at 3:43 PM, Frobby said:

He did pitch 112 innings last year between college and pro, which is not a small amount.   

True, but that was in 4 1/2 months, broken up by a brief rest after the draft. And he pitched once a week, usually on Friday night. Every five days for 6 months is a bit different. 

Knight offering more evidence that he’s too good for the Sally League: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K’s.    Despite “ceding” no walks, he did hit a batter, throw a wild pitch, and suffer a balk.    But, none of that led to runs.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Knight offering more evidence that he’s too good for the Sally League: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K’s.    Despite “ceding” no walks, he did hit a batter, throw a wild pitch, and suffer a balk.    But, none of that led to runs.    

33 strikeouts to 4 walks with a 0.56 ERA. He'll also turn 23 next month and the system is bereft of pitching prospects in the upper minors. A promotion has to be imminent, right?

5 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

33 walks to 4 strikeouts with a 0.56 ERA. He'll also turn 23 next month and the system is bereft of pitching prospects in the upper minors. A promotion has to be imminent, right?

I hope you got the walks to k’s backward!