Blaine Knight 2019

LookinUp

On 7/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

Is this something we did ala trying to mess with Sedlock's delivery, or is he a dud? Watched some of his tape from college and everything looked good. 

I seem to recall he made some changes to delivery on his own initiative a couple of offseason ago after getting bad advice from a private coach.   

Knight wasn't as bad today, but is currently in line for the L. 2 runs but only 2 k's in 5 IP. 

I'm still nowhere near as down on him as many here. I read Luke's stuff and understand his perceived limitations, but he's still a kid with a decent chance to be a ML pitcher IMO. It's total speculation, but I think he's in the middle of a transition of some kind (e.g., using pitches that aren't his strengths more often). I think this is all part of his typical non-linear development and we'll start to see better results this year or next.

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Knight wasn't as bad today, but is currently in line for the L. 2 runs but only 2 k's in 5 IP. 

I'm still nowhere near as down on him as many here. I read Luke's stuff and understand his perceived limitations, but he's still a kid with a decent chance to be a ML pitcher IMO. It's total speculation, but I think he's in the middle of a transition of some kind (e.g., using pitches that aren't his strengths more often). I think this is all part of his typical non-linear development and we'll start to see better results this year or next.

I think he's transitioning from a league in which his experience let him overpower hitters to one in which it doesn't and he's more forced to rely on quality pitches.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's transitioning from a league in which his experience let him overpower hitters to one in which it doesn't and he's more forced to rely on quality pitches.

I think that's some of it for sure, but am actually assuming there's more to the story. Time will tell, I guess.

Knight had his best night in a very long time: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K’s.   Coupled with his pretty decent start last outing, maybe he’s made some adjustments.    I’ll be watching to see if he makes further progress in August.   

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Knight had his best night in a very long time: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K’s.   Coupled with his pretty decent start last outing, maybe he’s made some adjustments.    I’ll be watching to see if he makes further progress in August.   

Knight had his best stuff of the season  tonight I think. He was 93-94 t95 with riding armside life. The curveball was particularly sharp and he threw some good sliders and changeups too. Command was below average at best though. I don't think he hit a spot all night. 

• 3 weeks later...

Knight started today but only pitched one inning. Gave up a hit (double), 2 walks, 2 ER and struck out 2. Also hit 2 batters. 31 pitches, only 15 strikes. 

Very disappointing season to say the least. 

Is his stuff just not there? Or are the Os tinkering with his mechanics, etc?

1 minute ago, scarey1999 said:

Knight started today but only pitched one inning. Gave up a hit (double), 2 walks, 2 ER and struck out 2. Also hit 2 batters. 31 pitches, only 15 strikes. 

I never bought into the hype with him.  Just didn't look like he had the raw stuff.  I do admit I thought he'd get a bit higher up the ladder before it showed to this extent.

3 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

He started last night and the game was suspended after the 1st and resumed today.

A double, two walks, two hits batsemen, 2K--could it be that playing conditions were the cause?  Was he slipping on the mound?  Unable to fully extend with his legs?  The umps may have looked at how bad it was and used his inability to pitch under the conditions as the reason to postpone the game.  I don't like his Frederick season, but I think that start should not be seen as the real him.

Yeah, that doesn’t make sense. That is about what he has been all season. So, right now, that is the real Blaine Knight.

We can hope that he has a good offseason program. Start with Frederick next season, put together some good early season starts and make the jump to Bowie around June. That would be good season for him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

What would you like the real Blaine Knight to be seen as?   It's tough to figure the dominance at Delmarva with the ineptitude at Frederick.  It doesn't seem like most prospects have quite the same difficulty with that jump.  

He wasn’t nearly as good as the results in Delmarva and isn’t as bad as the results in Frederick. Plus older hitters taking more advantage his fringe to below average command (which was apparent in Delmarva) and going from a pitcher’s park to an extreme hitter’s park.

He’s flashed legit stuff, but I think he’s a reliever.

• Upvote 2