Patriot Day Game this Morning Free on MLBTV

weams

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

If I lived in New England, maybe I’d care.    I’ll guess it was the day of the Battle of Lexington.   

American history whether you live in New England or not.  The first shots fired at Lexington and Concord - the begining of the American Revolution.  The Redcoats marched from Charleston (Boston Harbor area) to Concord (about 15-16 miles) to confiscate an alleged cache of weapons from a farm house.  Along the way there was a small battle in Lexington (a few shots hear and there).  The upon arriving at the farm in Concord the Redcoats waited until orders were given to attack - before they got a chance they were ambushed and they were actually chased, and shot at, all the way back to Charleston by the local town militias (the MinuteMen).  A long day if you were wearing red coat.

Another trivia note:  Paul Revere never announced that the British are coming during his ride the night before.  He said the Redcoats are coming...at the time everyone in the US was British, so saying the British are coming make no sense.

4 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Since the O's are once again playing on Patriot's Day, let's see if OHers were paying attention during history class all those years ago.  So, Patriot's Day is actually on April 19th (observed on a Monday) .... without looking it up what was the event that is commemorated on OPatriot's Day?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

If I lived in New England, maybe I’d care.    I’ll guess it was the day of the Battle of Lexington.   

2 hours ago, Plutarch said:

American history whether you live in New England or not.  The first shots fired at Lexington and Concord - the begining of the American Revolution.

Okay, so I was half right.    I knew the battles of Lexington and Concord were very close together in time, I just couldn’t remember if they took place on the same day.    My comment about “maybe I’d care” if I lived in New England was a bit flippant.   Obviously it’s a very important part of our history.   

Archived