Brenan Hanifee 2019

Frobby

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Luke, I think I learn something new with every one of your posts. There's so much to learn with how this new regime is handling things. It's awesome that you're able to understand what's happening in this organization right now. 

Here's what I think is a hard question. Do you have any idea if they're focusing on different things at different levels? I'm specifically wondering about the pitching differences between Delmarva and Frederick. I get the general sense that in Delmarva they might be establishing fastballs and changing eye levels, whereas in Frederick (and I assume above) you're seeing more of the work with secondaries.

I'm guessing it'll be more individualized than that. It'll be creating a curriculum of sorts for each player as far as how they could provide value at the major league level and how best to get them there. For some players it might be very little in game, but weighted ball and offseason velocity program. Others it may be tweaking pitches to get desired action to complement their strengths or adding a new pitch. Others it may be game strategy, how to attack hitters with their arsenal. Command work with offspeed stuff, etc etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

Complete game shutout for Hanifee today. Only 91 pitches (65 strikes).

9 IP, 5 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 4 K’s.

ERA down to 4.40

A few weeks ago I figured out that Bruce Zimmermann’s 9 inning complete game shutout was the first in the Orioles’ MiL system since 2015, when it was done three times at Bowie.    I don’t know when it was last done at Frederick, but it’s been longer than that.*. Congratulations to Hanifee for accomplishing that feat.   

In his last 9 starts he has a 3.45 ERA and has averaged 6.37 IP/start, never pitching fewer than 5.2 innings.    That’s the Hanifee we saw last year.   

* Edit - last accomplished for the Keys by Brady Wager in 2013.    

• Upvote 2

Good article on Brenan's develop this year. Articles states that Brenan was able to dominate last year using almost exclusively a sinker/sinking fastball that current frederick coach called "un-hittable at times"

However, Brenan knew he wasn't going to just be able to rely on that one pitch higher up in the minors or major league, so this season has been about developing his change up and slider to go along with that sinker, and how he's starting to see fruit from his early season woes. 

Really good article, he'll definitely be one to watch the next few years 

I'm happy with the way the O’s are forcing the pitchers to get out of their comfort zones this year.    In the short run, the results aren’t always pretty, but in the long run, they’ll be better prepared for the majors.    

I've liked this kid since last year's prospect lists were released. Hasn't had the best year, but maybe that's changing. I think he could be one of the less heralded gems of our system. Not a TOR guy, but a chance to be a good mid rotation starter if things work out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hanifee had a rough final outing last night: 6 IP, 11 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.

Overall, it was a very mediocre year for Hanifee and I’m not sure if he’ll get promoted to Bowie or be held over.    In 129 innings, he pitched to a 4.60 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, 5.4 K/9 and 1.4 K/BB.    It doesn’t seem like he really progressed this year.     

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hanifee had a rough final outing last night: 6 IP, 11 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.

Overall, it was a very mediocre year for Hanifee and I’m not sure if he’ll get promoted to Bowie or be held over.    In 129 innings, he pitched to a 4.60 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, 5.4 K/9 and 1.4 K/BB.    It doesn’t seem like he really progressed this year.     

Performance regressed, we’ll have to see what happens in the long run, he was very obviously working on his changeup extensively. The most disappointing thing for me is a year went by and the velocity hasn’t increased like I was hoping.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Performance regressed, we’ll have to see what happens in the long run, he was very obviously working on his changeup extensively. The most disappointing thing for me is a year went by and the velocity hasn’t increased like I was hoping.

Is the higher level or the extensive work on a secondary pitch likely the bigger cause for the significant uptick in walks and loss of control?

He only gave up a few more hits than he did last year in nearly the same number of innings. 7 more hits over 3 fewer innings is negligible. It's the 2.5x as many walks that did him in. And while he was still a groundball pitcher, it was far less than we saw in years past.