Mullins earning a 2nd chance

wildcard

Just now, Ruzious said:

Rickard might be the worst paid CFer I've ever seen.  That mile high pop-up the other day when Bundy was pitching that he somehow couldn't catch up to was a disgrace - I would have benched a HS CFer for not getting that.  And he makes up for his terrible defense by hitting around .200.  The O's can't advertise that they have a major league product and continue using Rickard at CF.  No matter what Mullins hits, he's better.  

Wait, I thought AJ was the worse CF ever? :) :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Wait, I thought AJ was the worse CF ever? :) :)

He was until the O's decided that Rickard was a CFer.  Speaking of terrible O's, I'd have more faith in using Chris Davis as a reliever than using Rickard as a CFer.  

18 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I know you're right... but what about players like Chris Weiters - the switch hitting Jesus?  .339 batting average with a .434 .obp in the minors and and .252/.315 in the majors.  

So that's what happened...we had the #1 prospect in baseball but we called up the wrong guy who happened to have a similar name. Sounds like a Syd Thrift move...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's be clear here, this is your opinion. Can you show us the fact to back up this 30% number? I think you are seriously degrading the difference between the major leagues and any minor league. 

As for Mullins, can you break down what pitchers were doing to him at the major league level vs minor league level to prove your theory or is it just that, a theory? I'll be happy to have this conversation, but one, we don't have the data from the minor leagues to see how they are pitching him vs the major league level and I'm willing to guess that neither us have watched video of all his games down in Norfolk to know one way or the other.

Now I would tend to agree with you that there is not a pitching characteristic for someone to bat .197 in the MLB vs .348 in AAA, but who here thinks Mullins is a .348 hitter in AAA? He's a .348 hitter over 6 games after going 3-for-5 last night.

I'm glad to see Mullins hitting. I'll have to go watch video to see if he's going to the opposite field or if pitchers are busting him in like they were at the MLB level. I don't know whether these were screaming line drives or ground balls "with eyes?" We don't know if pitchers were grooving more pitches to him like they weren't in the big leagues.

One day hopefully we will have the same statcast data available to us in the minor leagues as the major leagues and then we'll have more definitive data to base our analysis on that forms our opinions. Until then, we'll can be happy that Mullins is hitting and getting on base in AAA, but realizing it really means nothing without all of the data on how it's being done and against what kinds of pitches and pitch locations.

I think he was talking about the Orioles pitching staff when he made that 30 percent comment.  Unfortunately for Mullins he doesn't face the Orioles staff.