Mullins earning a 2nd chance

wildcard

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's are ability to Hays in center,   Santander in right and either Mancini or Mountcastle is left,  that means that Mullins is not likely to be more than a 4th OF for the O's.   And that is before considering Diaz in a year or so.

Yeah, and that’s fine if that’s how it plays out.   Too soon to tell.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Delino DeShields also has a very weak throwing arm.He also has not been able to stick for a full year in the majors, even though he was a first round pick in 1980.Eighth overall.I think Mullins will also be at best an up and down major leaguer. 

Mickey Rivers had a very weak throwing arm, as did Johnny Damon.    As others mentioned, Al Bumbry’s arm was very weak.    There have been plenty of others who had long careers.    But they all hit well, and that was part of the equation.  

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well if its too soon to the projecting the O's outfield next year than its too soon to be to be projecting how Mullins arm strength will effect him in the majors.  But here we are discussing it.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Well if its too soon to the projecting the O's outfield next year than its too soon to be to be projecting how Mullins arm strength will effect him in the majors.  But here we are discussing it.

I find it consistently difficult to decipher many of your posts just due to syntax, but I’ll take a stab at what I think you meant.

So, what exactly does projecting the Orioles OF next year have to do with the arm strength of Mullins?

Why not have him go to an arm strength type program like some pitchers do (Means did it last year to notable success)?

I suppose reworking his swing and rebuilding his confidence at the plate is more important, but he probably could do both. 

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I find it consistently difficult to decipher many of your posts just due to syntax, but I’ll take a stab at what I think you meant.

So, what exactly does projecting the Orioles OF next year have to do with the arm strength of Mullins?

I made what I feel is a relevant  comment about Mullins ranking in the outfield.  I said that Hays, Santander, Mountcastle/Mancini and Diaz all probably rank ahead of Mullins therefore making Mullins is most likely a 4th outfielder.   Frobbly dismissed the comment by saying  "Too early to tell".   Like its not worth discussing.

I guess my response should have been that it may be too early to tell but its not too early to discuss.

Mullins' arm strength, speed, defensive abilities, and hitting  have all been part of the past 13 pages of this thread.  The outcome of how he turns out is too early to tell but it has not been too early to discuss.

I just think that his relative ranking to other outfielders in the O's system is a relevant part of the discussion.  And a 4th outfielder does not have the abilities of a starting outfielder in most cases.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I made what I feel is a relevant  comment about Mullins ranking in the outfield.  I said that Hays, Santander, Mountcastle/Mancini and Diaz all probably rank ahead of Mullins therefore making Mullins is most likely a 4th outfielder.   Frobbly dismissed the comment by saying  "Too early to tell".   Like its not worth discussing.

I guess my response should have been that it may be too early to tell but its not too early to discuss.

Mullins' arm strength, speed, defensive abilities, and hitting  have all been part of the past 13 pages of this thread.  The outcome of how he turns out is too early to tell but it has not been too early to discuss.

I just think that his relative ranking to other outfielders in the O's system is a relevant part of the discussion.  And a 4th outfielder does not have the abilities of a starting outfielder in most cases.

I don't think Frobby's comment was meant to be dismissive.  It was more along the lines of saying, yes, those guys are in fact ahead of Mullins in the prospect pecking order now, but none has established himself as a surefire major leaguer to the point where you can write their name in ink in the lineup.  They are ahead of him based on potential but they could always fail to live up to their potential, get hurt, underperform, etc.  It's too soon to pass the judgement that there is no room for Mullins in our starting 9 moving forward if he is able to make adjustments and turn around his career.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I don't think Frobby's comment was meant to be dismissive.  It was more along the lines of saying, yes, those guys are in fact ahead of Mullins in the prospect pecking order now, but none has established himself as a surefire major leaguer to the point where you can write their name in ink in the lineup.  They are ahead of him based on potential but they could always fail to live up to their potential, get hurt, underperform, etc.  It's too soon to pass the judgement that there is no room for Mullins in our starting 9 moving forward if he is able to make adjustments and turn around his career.

If he would have said that I probably would have agreed.  But he didn't.

I don't remember Mullins ever being a top 10 O's prospect.   The others have been or are established major leaguers like Mancini.   Mullins has be beat the odds to get a starting spot over those guys.

Gary Kendall tells us why Mullins dropped to AA.

“He really struggled with off-speed pitches and that’s how they pitched him. He didn’t see a whole lot of fastballs and when he did they were up and out of the strike zone,” Kendall said.

“He was just a little, I’m not saying a loss of confidence, but he wasn’t the same as he was on the way up when I had him at Bowie. And hopefully with that change of scenery ... Because he didn’t really get it going with us, which was really unfortunate because it was a perfect setting for him to go down there and work on some of the things he needed to work on to hopefully get back here this year. But he wasn’t the same confident kid that he was on the way up that I saw several years ago.

“He really struggled with changing speeds and making in-game adjustments. With going down to Bowie, it seems like he’s gotten some things together and hopefully there’s some of those things he needed to change that he’s going to be able to change and he’s right back up here again.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/this-that-and-the-other-188.html

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

If he would have said that I probably would have agreed.  But he didn't.

I don't remember Mullins ever being a top 10 O's prospect.   The others have been or are established major leaguers like Mancini.   Mullins has be beat the odds to get a starting spot over those guys.

#10 prospect in 2017 on O's hangout list.  Following is from the official writeup.

10. Cedric Mullins (CF) – Impressed the Orioles so much in the spring that he was jumped two levels to Bowie in just his second full minor league season. Got off to a hot start but a hamstring injury put him on the DL and he battled the injury all season cutting into his stolen base attempts. The switch hitter is a much better hitter from the left side of the plate and may be limited to platoon duty. Solid defensive center fielder who also played a real solid left field so could be a great fit as a 4th outfielder.

45 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

#10 prospect in 2017 on O's hangout list.  Following is from the official writeup.

10. Cedric Mullins (CF) – Impressed the Orioles so much in the spring that he was jumped two levels to Bowie in just his second full minor league season. Got off to a hot start but a hamstring injury put him on the DL and he battled the injury all season cutting into his stolen base attempts. The switch hitter is a much better hitter from the left side of the plate and may be limited to platoon duty. Solid defensive center fielder who also played a real solid left field so could be a great fit as a 4th outfielder.

I stand corrected.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:07 AM, wildcard said:

If the O's are ability to Hays in center,   Santander in right and either Mancini or Mountcastle is left,  that means that Mullins is not likely to be more than a 4th OF for the O's.   And that is before considering Diaz in a year or so.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:18 AM, Frobby said:

On 9/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, wildcard said:

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think you’re way overreacting to my comment.    All I was saying is that you may be right that several guys outperform Mullins is relegated to 4th/5th outfielder, and it’s fine with me if it works out that way, but it’s too soon to know.    I wasn’t meaning in any way to cut off discussion of that, or Mullins’ future prospects in general.    I think several guys are ahead of Mullins in the pecking order at the moment.     But I don’t think we should write him off yet, even as a potential starter.   And I wasn’t exclusively talking about 2020.