Mullins earning a 2nd chance

wildcard

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

BA and BP both had Wieters no. 1. I remember PECOTA thought he was going to be a .900 OPS guy.   

The only reason Wieters didnt go #1, was his agent was Scott Boras and they were afraid of being able to sign him, if my senile memory serves me correctly.

Scouts had really thought Wieters was going to be the next Johnny Bench

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

The only reason Wieters didnt go #1, was his agent was Scott Boras and they were afraid of being able to sign him, if my senile memory serves me correctly.

Scouts had really thought Wieters was going to be the next Johnny Bench

It doesn't.

Wieters was being comped to Varitek when drafted and I'm reasonably sure Price was #1 on most boards. 

His stock really took off after his first full year in the minors.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It doesn't.

Wieters was being comped to Varitek when drafted and I'm reasonably sure Price was #1 on most boards. 

His stock really took off after his first full year in the minors.

Ok, correct, he probably was not going #1, but sliding to #5, still can have some of it attributed to Boras.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Way off topic, but damn, I just read this and had to laugh:

Delmon Young   OF   MLB's next five-tool stud is in line for a big league job; could be a 30/30 man

This list from 2008 has Spoone and Liz in their top 100.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/7092/top-100-prospects-the-best-of-the-best/

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought the org was all in on him, and its not like they didnt have a huge need at catcher

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

/shrug.

I think not having to pay for a second and third round pick influenced both the Wieters and Arrieta (5th round) pick.

There’s no way to know what the O’s would have done in the first round if they’d had those other two picks.    I do remember people being very excited that Wieters had fallen to 5th.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Just because its a SSS doesn't stop GMs from making moves.

Austin Wynns played 9 games in the minors and then Elias DFA's Sucre and recalled Wynns. That's right, 9 games was enough for Elias to evaluate that he wanted Wynns and was willing to show Sucre the  door out of the O's organization.

The decision to recall Mullins would not be as drastic.   Wilkerson,  Rickard and Wilkerson all have options so the O's can move those guys up and down to the minors without losing them.

Right now Rickard, who has replaced Mullins in center, has a 634 OPS.   That is the bar that Mullins has beat to be recalled IMO.  If Elias thinks Mullins play in the  minors has helped him start hitting and that it may continue in the majors then Elias recalls Mullins.  Mullins has more range than Rickard so that could help the O's defense. 

Wilkerson has a 571 OPS.   He can be optioned.

Its might work.  It might not.  But what does Elias have to lose?   Not as much and calling up Wynns after 9 minor league games and DFAing Sucre.

Wynns' quick call-up may have as much--or even more--to do with Sucre's remonstrances against his own pitchers than it does with Wynns' minor-league performance. I can imagine some pitchers or even a coach were ready to butt heads or worse with Sucre.

Wilkerson's OPS is based on how many at-bats? (Rhetorical Q.)

Mullins was in such a deep funk this season and last September I think it would be very rational to give him considerable more time in Norfolk to make sure he's solidified a new approach. For example, there's no way such a small number of games is a test of his switch-hitting.