At the quarter mark...

Frobby

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Didn't seem to impact Barry Bonds nearly as much... played 126 games at age 42.

Yeah, well, different people respond differently.  And from what I can tell, I think people react differently...some might be more susceptible to strains/tears than others.  And of course, how much they're taking, too.  I think Bonds was one of the exceptions.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, well, different people respond differently.  And from what I can tell, I think people react differently...some might be more susceptible to strains/tears than others.  And of course, how much they're taking, too.  I think Bonds was one of the exceptions.

I'm not sure 126 games (116 starts) is that impressive a total, even at 42.  He basically missed one out of four games.  He also missed almost the entire season at 40.

Weird stat at the 1/4 pole:

In 28 games at 3B Manny Machado has yet to be involved in a DP

In 35 games Ruiz leads the majors with 13 DP's

Ruiz also has a slightly higher Range Factor, 6th in the majors, Machado 7th

Richie Martin is 25th out of 26 ranked SS's in range factor and 18th in fielding %

Who is the O's SS of the future, not looking like it will be Martin who is not cutting it even defensively

On 5/13/2019 at 10:37 PM, Philip said:

I’m no step guy, so I don’t know whether the indications are that this is a lasting improvement, or it will only last until the book on him gets around town, and everybody knows to wait on the fastball, which is what Mike Trout did yesterday, with unfortunate results.

If his current fame is fleeting(And again, I don’t know whether it is lasting or not) Then I’d rather trade him now.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:44 PM, Ruzious said:

I doubt he has any significant trade value since he was never a highly rated prospect and has no track record to speak of.  It doesn't make sense to trade him, imo.  

John Means has no trade value.  He's a guy who's been outpitching his minor league record, has a .234 BABIP,  and has an ERA two runs better than his FIP.  Trading him makes no sense.  No major league team is going to see a 2-something ERA in 40 innings and assume he's now a valuable MLB starter.

Turn this around: imagine you're the Brewers or the Mariners or something. What would you trade for John Means?  You have essentially all the same information on him the Orioles do.  Why would you give up more than the Orioles think he's worth?

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

John Means has no trade value.  He's a guy who's been outpitching his minor league record, has a .234 BABIP,  and has an ERA two runs better than his FIP.  Trading him makes no sense.  No major league team is going to see a 2-something ERA in 40 innings and assume he's now a valuable MLB starter.

Turn this around: imagine you're the Brewers or the Mariners or something. What would you trade for John Means?  You have essentially all the same information on him the Orioles do.  Why would you give up more than the Orioles think he's worth?

I'd imagine he'd have decent trade value if he keeps something close to this going up to the trade deadline. The stuff is reportedly different than last year (better fastball and change up). The peripheral stats are unsustainable, but the samples are small enough that they could normalize without a massive loss of production. We won't know until we know, of course, but I'm not sold on his FIP (yet).

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I'd imagine he'd have decent trade value if he keeps something close to this going up to the trade deadline. The stuff is reportedly different than last year (better fastball and change up). The peripheral stats are unsustainable, but the samples are small enough that they could normalize without a massive loss of production. We won't know until we know, of course, but I'm not sold on his FIP (yet).

“Imagine” is the key word because that’s not happening in the real world. I challenge you to Find trades of three comparable players from the recent past that yielded “decent trade value”.  

9 hours ago, atomic said:

Ok so they are back to a 54 win pace.  Will they be able to get to 48 wins and beat last years team's record? 

I think so, but I don’t care much at that level of bad.  

One thing I have to look up is of the home runs we have surrendered, how many of them have come off the bat of the same person.  Not only is the pure number of homers we have surrendered been historically bad, but I swear that we have been burned by the same people over and over again.  How many have we given up to Torres, or Sanchez, or everybody in the Twins lineup?  Maybe it just feels that way, but we sure love our Oriole killers....always helping them to pad their stats. 

The hope was that we would work our way to a bottom 3 record (and future high draft pick) without being embarrassing and inept and IMO we check that box.  I think we have seen some good surprises (Smith, Mancini), have now moved into a period of production from Chris Davis (the longer we can avoid cutting him the better), have given major league opportunities to guys deserving chances (still really like the Ruiz pickup) and have not started the major league service time of any meaningful prospect.

Still plenty of time to slip into being the league's laughingstock, but have largely avoided that for now while seeing good effort on the field and an organization that appears to be marching forward in an organized way.  We are just trying to get through this year IMO and so far am content that we have avoided being much worse.

Archived