• “it requires spending money intelligently” That it is how the quote should read.
    • Yeah, we kind of need to revisit this after the trade deadline when we will have a better idea of which assets we have left to protect. We may also have a better idea of openings on the 40 man. 
    • Good question.  Could be just a fluke or a slump, or it could be frustration or boredom.  He's human, he knows he's been major league ready for a while and he also knows there is no clear path to regular MLB at bats without some serious injuries to guys in front of him.  I'm thinking Elias has a decision to make by the trade deadline or offseason on whether to give Heston a legit shot at regular MLB at bats or trade him for pitching.
    • He could be making minor changes just like Holliday. Minor leagues where you can iron things out. It made more sense after I saw Bryan Baker. He obviously was working on that new curveball and it inflated his ERA first month.
    • 1. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I acknowledged Elias' position at the time in the very first sentence.  I didn't say Elias directed the trade.  I'm very much saying that Elias' experience with the Astros is going to inform his actions with the Orioles. 2.  At the time, Perez, Cameron and Rogers were the Astros' #3, #9 and #11 prospects respectively per Sports Illustrated.  Not nothing, especially considering the salary relief the Tigers were getting.  For context, Orioles #3 is Basallo. 3. The Verlander trade literally came together in the last hour before the trade deadline.  What comparable pitcher will be available this year is unanswerable until around the last week of July at the earliest as teams evaluate their post-season prospects up until the last minute. Behind my original post is the recognition that this season is different in at least two important respects.  First, the O's are unequivocally a contender and that requires Elias to widen his approach as a general manager.  Secondly, the new ownership is a lot more like Jim Crane than John Angelos ever was, so taking on an expensive contract for the right player is now something that can be considered.  
    • That's a good one! I didn't think about him.
    • Mid-month the K/BB is at 22/4 after 20/12 and 19/12 in April/May. 1190, 964, 805 the monthly OPS's.    Boredom?   Regression?
  • Popular Contributors