Callis: Witt Jr. the best SS prospect since A-Rod

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will pitch a hissy if we don't take AR.

Yeah, I've felt that way for months.  Yet, if Elias and company feel Witt Jr. merits the pick at #1, I'll shake my head a bit sideways, raise an eyebrow, sigh, and then root like hell for Witt Jr. to be a stud for us.  

After a few years away from this part of the draft board, it's an odd feeling to once again feel like taking sides for and against prospects with such gaudy comparisons. Rutschman is one of the best catching prospects ever. Witt is "best SS prospect since A-Rod." Luke says Abrams may have the best upside of anyone? You mean better upside than Hall of Fame catcher or multi-time MVP? 

Yet odds are that all of them bust. The power armed Texas future ace taken ahead of Machado, Jameson Taillon, has been just OK.

Whoever we pick next week will come packaged with plenty of profiles about immense potential. We'll have to wait and see. 

That said... I really want Rutschman.  

2 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

After a few years away from this part of the draft board, it's an odd feeling to once again feel like taking sides for and against prospects with such gaudy comparisons. Rutschman is one of the best catching prospects ever. Witt is "best SS prospect since A-Rod." Luke says Abrams may have the best upside of anyone? You mean better upside than Hall of Fame catcher or multi-time MVP? 

Yet odds are that all of them bust. The power armed Texas future ace taken ahead of Machado, Jameson Taillon, has been just OK.

Whoever we pick next week will come packaged with plenty of profiles about immense potential. We'll have to wait and see. 

That isn't accurate.

One might but all three?

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will pitch a hissy if we don't take AR.

If they take Abrams or Witt jr over AR, it really isnt the end of the world.  Probably have to listen to Atomic claim it had everything to do with money but I would say that Witt jr is the most polished high school kid that I have seen in the 15+ years I have paid any attention to the draft.  Abrams is definitely interesting, but he is a high ceiling, high risk kid.  I fear Abrams could end up like Beckham but I also fear that he could be Ken Griffey Jr if we pass on him(he has more development and I dont expect him to be in the majors at 19)  If they take Vaughn, I will scratch my head but I really dont see that happening.

43 minutes ago, sevastras said:

If they take Abrams or Witt jr over AR, it really isnt the end of the world.  Probably have to listen to Atomic claim it had everything to do with money but I would say that Witt jr is the most polished high school kid that I have seen in the 15+ years I have paid any attention to the draft.  Abrams is definitely interesting, but he is a high ceiling, high risk kid.  I fear Abrams could end up like Beckham but I also fear that he could be Ken Griffey Jr if we pass on him(he has more development and I dont expect him to be in the majors at 19)  If they take Vaughn, I will scratch my head but I really dont see that happening.

When we passed on Bubba Starling I was afraid we passed on the next Mike Trout. Turned out I should've been more upset passing on Rendon, Lindor, Baez, and Springer.

We're a week out so the hype train is reaching top speed. 

I too prefer AR if viewed in a vacuum. But Dan, Buck, and Brady burned this mother to the ground shooting for the 5th slot year after year, having said that maybe a High School kid makes more sense. I won’t hate either.

This isn’t like taking an overworked Bundy over Rendon.

2 minutes ago, MMussina35 said:

I too prefer AR if viewed in a vacuum. But Dan, Buck, and Brady burned this mother to the ground shooting for the 5th slot year after year, having said that maybe a High School kid makes more sense. I won’t hate either.

Rendon had an injury history correct?

14 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

yes, he was widely regarded as the top hitter in college though and suffered an injury late in the year which only caused a slip to 6th overall.

Right, can't say I would mention Bundy's workload without mentioning Rendon's injury but oh well.

5 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

They are talking like this is the best top of a draft in six seasons. 1-10  

6 hours ago, sevastras said:

Luke’s review on here says the one tool missing is hitting and has trouble hitting high velocity pitchers,  And he is older than all the guys he is playing against.  Seems like he has a high chance of being a bust.  

15 hours ago, MMussina35 said:

I’ve preferred Witt all along as I think Catching diminishes the player due to bumps, bruises, wear, and tear. 

That being said, the Orioles taking anyone other than AR is below 1%

Archived