There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, atomic said:

He didn't live up to the hype.  But if we draft somone #1 overall whom has a career similar to Wieters I won't be upset.   He had a 5 WAR season and 4 WAR season back to back..  

I don’t know man that’s tough. I think I might be a little salty because I’m going to have high expectations for 1-1 like borderline hof career expectations. I want a true difference maker at 1-1. That’s one reason I really want Witt why I think Rutschman might be the safer pick I like the idea of Witt especially if he hits his Ceiling he would be a lot more fun to watch than Rutschman and I believe has the greatest potential of any one in this draft to have a hof career.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's at least a level under where you would expect a college first round pick.

He was picked 37th. There aren't 37 teams in the MLB. I consider him s second round pick.

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

I know that no one else on the planet considers him the SS in waiting, he’s not our best prospect at the position.

Who is? I’m not sure whether Grenier was the best pick, because  he’s a glove-first guy, but he was touted for his excellent defense.

regardless, there’s no reason to pick Witt over AR. Even if you want to Argue Hall or Carmona( who is what, 18 now?) over Grenier, the fact is we HAVE them.

We got NOBODY at catcher save Sisco and some stopgaps, and the jury is still out on all aspects of Sisco’s game.

Ergo, AR is a no-brainer.

13 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

He certainly was not a bust. Underwhelmed us in light of the hype, perhaps. But I lay some of that at Buck’s feet for having him behind the dish more than he should have. 

But he never won a platinum glove either. 

https://www.rawlings.com/category-landing-pages/gold-glove-platinum-page.html

If we were basing whether he was a bust or not simply off the Hype and nothing else I would have to consider his career a bust just because he never came close to being the player we all and the media thought he was going to be. 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Who is? I’m not sure whether Grenier was the best pick, because  he’s a glove-first guy, but he was touted for his excellent defense.

regardless, there’s no reason to pick Witt over AR. Even if you want to Argue Hall or Carmona( who is what, 18 now?) over Grenier, the fact is we HAVE them.

We got NOBODY at catcher save Sisco and some stopgaps, and the jury is still out on all aspects of Sisco’s game.

The jury’s still out on Sisco, but not on 3 guys in A ball? And the one you’re touting is old for the level? And the one who seems most promising can barely manage a .100 ISO?

How about we just don’t worry about need for 1-1? 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His hitting is improved.  Fielding is still disappointing last I heard.

Wasn’t Griener’s globe suppose to be a sure thing and that he could play Mlb ss now but the question was his bat? Now not only is he not hitting but his fielding is even suspect? What great pick he was. 

The hype was given by fans and scouts.   How does that have anything to do with him living up to his draft pick status. 

You bashing his failure to be a switch hitting Jesus doesn't really mean anything at all.  

Plus, as we learned in the documentary major leagues, jesus can't even hit a curve ball.

19 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I don’t know man that’s tough. I think I might be a little salty because I’m going to have high expectations for 1-1 like borderline hof career expectations. I want a true difference maker at 1-1. That’s one reason I really want Witt why I think Rutschman might be the safer pick I like the idea of Witt especially if he hits his Ceiling he would be a lot more fun to watch than Rutschman and I believe has the greatest potential of any one in this draft to have a hof career.

Only 4 #1 overalls even have 45 WAR in their careers.  And Arod leads the pack and it might be a long road for him to get in the Hall of Fame.  Mauer might make it with 55 WAR.  Chipper Jones, Ken Griffey JR. and Harold Baines (Veterans Comittee) I believe are the only #1 overalls to make it to the HOF.  You might need to get more realistic expectations.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Only 4 #1 overalls even have 45 WAR in their careers.  And Arod leads the pack and it might be a long road for him to get in the Hall of Fame.  Mauer might make it with 55 WAR.  Chipper Jones, Ken Griffey JR. and Harold Baines (Veterans Comittee) I believe are the only #1 overalls to make it to the HOF.  You might need to get more realistic expectations.  

I'm more than prepared for the number one pick to end up having a lackluster career.

It's the entire draft and international signings that is going to determine if this year's draft is successful. I still want the Orioles to hit on the #1 pick with the hype AR and Witt Jr. have received.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

How much have you watched Bobby Witt Jr play? I mean I’ve followed the kids every game since he was a freshman and there nothing that suggest that he’s not every bit as good as Rutschman and imo with him being a ss and with plus speed he’s a better all around ball player. I’m not knocking Rutschman because he to looks great but to suggest he’s head and shoulder above Witt he is ridiculous unless you can show me the red flags in Witts game that suggest otherwise. Go back a few few years and look at what Rutschman was doing when he was Witts age and what he was doing in High school. Rutschman wasn’t even in the convo when he was 18-19. I believe Witt to be just as talented or as good as Rutschman now and as he continues playing and progressing when he is Rutschman’s current age I imagine he’ll be even better than what Rutschman is currently plus he plays a position where when healthy he’s in the lineup everyday that has quite a bit of value in itself.

9 minutes ago, makoman said:

The jury’s still out on Sisco, but not on 3 guys in A ball? And the one you’re touting is old for the level? And the one who seems most promising can barely manage a .100 ISO?

How about we just don’t worry about need for 1-1? 

Sure, the jury is still out on Sisco, and all the SS’s in the system as well, I never said otherwise.

If we take the best available guy that’s the catcher, but if we take the guy we need the most, that is also the catcher. That’s my point.

Archived