There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

6 hours ago, section18 said:

The MLB Network had a one hour special review of the draft tonight and I believe one of the panelists was Jim Callis.  At the end of the show he went over AR's qualities and basically raved about him. Saying he was the best catcher to come out of the draft in over 30 years. He also said he will be the All-Star catcher every year when he arrives in the major leagues. Elias should just say he is taking  AR. Why the mystery? The money is pretty much determined already.  Right?

They keep saying the best C since Yas, Bench, etc...  What about Maeur, Posey, or MW?  What about Witt being better comparable to Machado just with a “better baseball IQ”. 

Lots of crazy stuff being thrown around. 

What if it ends up like,

Witt = Tulo

Adley = Somewhere between MW and Posey

Would that be a letdown?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Philip said:

The Diamondbacks have EIGHT picks in the first 100, starting with 16. God only knows the furor going on at “Diamondbacks Hangout”

Still a crapshoot. Tampa had 10 picks in the top 60 and only Blake Snell has made an impact.

Tampa Bay went into that 2011 Draft with 10 of the top 60 picks. They went 96-66 in 2010 and won the AL East, and would finish 2011 at 91-71, claiming the AL Wild Card. Tampa Bay won 90 games in both 2012 and 2013, but has fallen under .500 in each of the last three seasons, and their failures during that 2011 draft (and frankly, in drafts stretching back to 2008) are a big reason why.

Just three of those first ten picks would end up reaching the majors. One was Mahtook, who’s now a Tiger. One was Tyler Goeddel, who the Rays lost to the Philadelphia Phillies in last year’s Rule 5 Draft. The third is Blake Snell, who was one of baseball’s top pitching prospects coming into the 2016 season and pitched to a 3.54 ERA over 89 MLB innings last season.

https://thecomeback.com/mlb/tampa-bay-rays-2011-mlb-draft-failure.html

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have some guys but nobody that is can’t miss. Hall, McCoy, Grenier, Martin, Carmona, Martin.  MI and Are definitely the weak spots of our system. So is C after Sisco. 

My vote is Adely. I wouldn’t be mad with Witt, but I’d like to go with the safe bet here. But we’re going to be picking #1 next year too. Maybe that eases the pressure on Elias here a bit. 

Wouldn't be so sure, Marlins and Royals are right there with us and Royals already announced they are ready to trade their roster.  Granted we for sure will end up with 1-3, but just saying.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They keep saying the best C since Yas, Bench, etc...  What about Maeur, Posey, or MW?  What about Witt being better comparable to Machado just with a “better baseball IQ”. 

Lots of crazy stuff being thrown around. 

What if it ends up like,

Witt = Tulo

Adley = Somewhere between MW and Posey

Would that be a letdown?

There's a lot of hyperbole and false confidence.  Remember 2008 when Tim Beckham, Pedro Alvarez, Eric Hosmer, and Brian Matusz were all drafted ahead of Posey and most everyone thought all of that was reasonable?

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There's a lot of hyperbole and false confidence.  Remember 2008 when Tim Beckham, Pedro Alvarez, Eric Hosmer, and Brian Matusz were all drafted ahead of Posey and most everyone thought all of that was reasonable?

Hey, Tim Beckham still has a Major League career!

Brian Matusz............sigh.

Funny how many ex-O's are on that list now.    We need to acquire Hosmer to collect the whole set!

20 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Wouldn't be so sure, Marlins and Royals are right there with us and Royals already announced they are ready to trade their roster.  Granted we for sure will end up with 1-3, but just saying.

We don’t have much of a roster to trade. I just don’t see how the pitching gets any better. 

That said Royals have 17 left with Twins and 16 with Indians. It isn’t a lock.

I think Marlins pitching is too decent to be worse than KC and Baltimore.  

8 hours ago, Philip said:

The Diamondbacks have EIGHT picks in the first 100, starting with 16. God only knows the furor going on at “Diamondbacks Hangout”

Are they complaining about  Jones there?

Quote from 2008 on Tim Beckham:

"While there's always pressure to get the No. 1 pick right, the improving Rays imposed some extra heat on themselves this time because they're hoping it will be years before they'll be in a position to select first again.

Tampa Bay whittled its list of candidates for the top pick to five, then trimmed it to two -- Beckham and Posey, a converted shortstop who developed into one of college baseball's top offensive and defensive catchers over the past year.

"It was an active debate, but I think at the end of the day when push came to shove and we were racing time, I think it was pretty clear to everybody that Tim Beckham was the guy at the top of our board," Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said.

"We feel like he's got an advanced approach to the game, a genuine enthusiasm for what he does, and we feel like he's got a great chance to be an impact player in the major leagues."

Also from that same ESPN Article:

"The Florida Marlins, picking sixth, took California high school catcher Kyle Skipworth, whom many consider the top prep prospect at his position since Joe Mauer was selected No. overall by Minnesota seven years ago."

Many thought Kyle Skipworth was in Joe Mauer's class on draft day.  He left pro baseball after 2016 with an 0-for-3 MLB career and a .658 minor league OPS.

8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Hey, Tim Beckham still has a Major League career!

Brian Matusz............sigh.

Funny how many ex-O's are on that list now.    We need to acquire Hosmer to collect the whole set!

It can be challenging to figure out which 18- or 20-year-old will be a 99.999th percentile player at 28, and which will be a 99.9999th.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Matusz does a whole lot of cancelling out the others.

a whooooole lot.

You do make a valid point but...a

whooooole

lot...

No he doesn’t.   Matusz ranks 25th in WAR among the 54 players chosen at no. 4.    They could have done much worse.    Heck, they got less from Loewen at no. 4 than they did from Matusz.   

18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We don’t have much of a roster to trade. I just don’t see how the pitching gets any better. 

That said Royals have 17 left with Twins and 16 with Indians. It isn’t a lock.

I think Marlins pitching is too decent to be worse than KC and Baltimore.  

True but we also are likely bringing up a few folks that could get us a few wins. It will be a dog fight and for last haha.

Archived