There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

12 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Wasn’t Griener’s globe suppose to be a sure thing and that he could play Mlb ss now but the question was his bat? Now not only is he not hitting but his fielding is even suspect? What great pick he was. 

According to Camden Chat, He was projected to go 68th in the draft but instead went 37th, another of Dan’s curious choices. I’m not married to the guy, but he is a short stop. I’d rather draft the catcher. If you feel otherwise, fine. We’ll find out in 24 hours.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

If we were basing whether he was a bust or not simply off the Hype and nothing else I would have to consider his career a bust just because he never came close to being the player we all and the media thought he was going to be. 

Ok. To me, Jeffrey Hammonds, Chris Smith, Billy Rowell, Matt Hobgood and Mark Smith...those are busts. High 1st round picks that never fulfilled the varying amounts of hype or anything close. Matt Wieters was a productive front line major league catcher for 5-6 years. An all star and gold glove award winner. But I guess we have differing definitions of “bust.” 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hot take:  I'd rather have Vaughn than Mountcastle.

Mountcastle isn't going to walk enough to keep us happy.  

I don’t think Mountcastle was a good pic, but we’ve got him now, He’s probably our eventual first baseman. I’m unclear Why you want Vaughn over Rutschman? No one is perfect of course, but AR’s Defense is considered as good as his offense, we have a strong need for an excellent catcher, catcher is the most Important defense of position, and we don’t need another first baseman.

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Ok. To me, Jeffrey Hammonds, Chris Smith, Billy Rowell, Matt Hobgood and Mark Smith...those are busts. High 1st round picks that never fulfilled the varying amounts of hype or anything close. Matt Wieters was a productive front line major league catcher for 5-6 years. An all star and gold glove award winner. But I guess we have differing definitions of “bust.” 

As I’ve said I think he had a very productive big league career but if you are familiar with the post draft Hype on Wieters the switch hitting Jesus especially once he was destroying minor league pitching you would agree that he didn’t come close to living up to the hype . I’m not arguing whether he had a successful career or not but that if we were to base whether he was a bust or not off of him living up to the hype he would be a bust.

37 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm more than prepared for the number one pick to end up having a lackluster career.

It's the entire draft and international signings that is going to determine if this year's draft is successful. I still want the Orioles to hit on the #1 pick with the hype AR and Witt Jr. have received.

Healthy attitude IMO.

21 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

As I’ve said I think he had a very productive big league career but if you are familiar with the post draft Hype on Wieters the switch hitting Jesus especially once he was destroying minor league pitching you would agree that he didn’t come close to living up to the hype . I’m not arguing whether he had a successful career or not but that if we were to base whether he was a bust or not off of him living up to the hype he would be a bust.

The hype bought him a longer leash than he deserved and a completely undeserved QO that, to the surprise of most people, he accepted in a fit of unexpected rationality.

The MLB Network had a one hour special review of the draft tonight and I believe one of the panelists was Jim Callis.  At the end of the show he went over AR's qualities and basically raved about him. Saying he was the best catcher to come out of the draft in over 30 years. He also said he will be the All-Star catcher every year when he arrives in the major leagues. Elias should just say he is taking  AR. Why the mystery? The money is pretty much determined already.  Right?

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I heard that growing up Lew Ford was his favorite player.

No idea what the "Lew Ford" stuff is, but I didn't understand a few years ago either. I'm not advocating one guy over the other. 

I do look forward to potentially seeing one or the other in Salisbury sometime this season...if I'm lucky.

7 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Carmona was my 2nd thought, Grenier didn’t cross my mind. 

We have some guys but nobody that is can’t miss. Hall, McCoy, Grenier, Martin, Carmona, Martin.  MI and Are definitely the weak spots of our system. So is C after Sisco. 

My vote is Adely. I wouldn’t be mad with Witt, but I’d like to go with the safe bet here. But we’re going to be picking #1 next year too. Maybe that eases the pressure on Elias here a bit. 

Archived