There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We are talking about draft hype here right?

Draft hype was Varitek.

I’m thinking the hype im referencing cane after the draft with the way he was mashing in the minors wasn’t he being refered to as the switch hitting Jesus in cleats. They were ready to put him in the hof and he hadn’t even step foot in the show. His bat just never lived up to the hype I remember, not even close.

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

You mean the 9th most productive player picked #5 overall? 

Jose Cruz was the 9th most productive player picked #3 overall, Cardinals catcher Terry Kennedy at 6th overall.  As arguments go, 9th most productive is somewhat less than compelling.

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

The two guys right before him in the draft that year had -1.3 and 0.2 WAR respectively.  The 3 guys drafted after him had 0.5, -1.0 and 0 WAR.   I would consider Wieters a very good pick. 

Do you think he lived up to the Hype and his bat lived up to the expectations we had for him?

12 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

When did we get a SS in waiting ?

Good grief has everyone forgotten Cadyn Grenier? He’s a SS, drafted 37th with much fanfare, and was a teammate of our hopeful first pick.

Just now, Philip said:

Good grief has everyone forgotten Cadyn Grenier? He’s a SS, drafted 37th with much fanfare, and was a teammate of our hopeful first pick.

I like Hall's chances better.  I also am not sure Grenier can stick at short even if he does hit.

6 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Do you think he lived up to the Hype and his bat lived up to the expectations we had for him?

He didn't live up to the hype.  But if we draft somone #1 overall whom has a career similar to Wieters I won't be upset.   He had a 5 WAR season and 4 WAR season back to back..  

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He got MVP votes, he made all star games, he won a freakin platinum glove.

Heck he's still playing.

He certainly was not a bust. Underwhelmed us in light of the hype, perhaps. But I lay some of that at Buck’s feet for having him behind the dish more than he should have. 

But he never won a platinum glove either. 

https://www.rawlings.com/category-landing-pages/gold-glove-platinum-page.html

17 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Every team has a Matusz or worse in the last 30 years.  At least he made it to the big leagues. 

Hobgood Was before I started following the Orioles. I started with the Orioles during game 162 of the 2011 season, and starting the next season Brian Matusz was constantly laughing in my face as he pitched lousy, awful, yet regularly…He has always reminded me of Alfred E Newman, and his “What? Me worry?” look always annoyed the hell out of me. So when I think of all the draft picks, even though some were worse, Matusz is always the guy who comes to mind.

11 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

The Os need to explore all options in how they will handle the draft.  There are many, many combinations of players that will fill out our slot spending.  Every team needs to work on all of their options …. but not every team will have some or all of the underslot $ the Os will presumably have based on savings with the first pick.

The Os need to be ready for any scenario in which AR tells them he is not signing for less than $8M (or even $7.5M).  AR runs his own risk of asking for too much $ and then a team at 4 or 5 in the draft taking him and offering $5M with a take it or go back to school.  Same if Witt is asking too much. And if, in those scenarios, we take the college 1B, Bleday or Abrams, and sign them for much less than slot, we need to have multiple possible overslot guys lined up.

The Os are going to go to Witt or AR before the draft and ask the signing bonus number, offer what we feel is a good offer, and see if the kid will sign with us or not. 

I certainly appreciate a scenario where we work out a pre-draft deal for a big under-slot signing in order to draft and sign multiple quality prospects later in the draft (as the Astros did when they took Correa over Buxton).  We want the Os to leave the draft and sign the most talent of any team (save perhaps the Diamondbacks and their huge pool).  

All that said, there is an old saying "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".  For the younger folks, it means - if someone gives you a free horse, you don't go checking the horses teeth to see how healthy it is.  You take the horse, say thank you and walk away - check the teeth later.  I feel the same with AR (or Witt) being available.  Don't get cute with playing draft scenarios.  According to multiple sources, AR is immediately a top 10-20 prospect in all of baseball.  He is going to sign for less than slot - just have to see how much.  So you take your slot savings there and go about the rest of the draft.  I would agree a Witt selection is perfectly defensible and think Vaughn is somewhat defensible, but AR is too much prospect to pass up.

Do you have any idea what it costs to feed and board a horse these days?

11 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Jose Cruz was the 9th most productive player picked #3 overall, Cardinals catcher Terry Kennedy at 6th overall.  As arguments go, 9th most productive is somewhat less than compelling.

He is better than 80  percent of the players picked at that spot. 

Archived