Angels release Cody Allen

BohKnowsBmore

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yup, and likely a team with a chance at the playoffs will take a chance on him. Can't see the Orioles getting him. 

Maybe, but counterpoint:

• Teams in the hunt for the playoffs are more likely to have better incumbent pitchers
  • Teams in the hunt for the playoffs are less likely to be willing to give him consistent innings to demonstrate his ability to pitch in high-leverage situations

A team like the Orioles would offer him a lower-resistance path to pitching 8th/9th inning consistently.  Predictability should help him improve his performance and rebuild value for next offseason or potentially a deadline trade to a contender (note, I am not recommending this move as a sign-and-trade-for value move). Our futility creates an asset in terms of available roster spots to take fliers on guys like this whereas more competitive teams may only be willing to offer MiLB deals or inconsistent play time.

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Maybe, but counterpoint:

• Teams in the hunt for the playoffs are more likely to have better incumbent pitchers
  • Teams in the hunt for the playoffs are less likely to be willing to give him consistent innings to demonstrate his ability to pitch in high-leverage situations

A team like the Orioles would offer him a lower-resistance path to pitching 8th/9th inning consistently.  Predictability should help him improve his performance and rebuild value for next offseason or potentially a deadline trade to a contender (note, I am not recommending this move as a sign-and-trade-for value move). Our futility creates an asset in terms of available roster spots to take fliers on guys like this whereas more competitive teams may only be willing to offer MiLB deals or inconsistent play time.

Good points. It all depends on what Allen wants. If he wants to extend his career ($32M in career earnings after this year) then the Orioles could have a decent shot. I just get the feeling he is going to sign with the Astros and will be lights out the rest of the year. 

3 minutes ago, mdoriolefan said:

Does anybody know if we have ever had any luck giving pitchers, looking to revive their careers, another shot here at Camden Yards?  I cannot think of any off hand.

Not sure if this counts, but Jeremy Guthrie comes to mind.

Darren O'Day maybe?

If you're specifically talking about all-star level relief performers who bottomed out, came to Baltimore on the cheap, then went on to be good again... not sure.  But I'm guessing that's a tiny group across MLB to begin with.

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Darren O'Day maybe?

If you're specifically talking about all-star level relief performers who bottomed out, came to Baltimore on the cheap, then went on to be good again... not sure.  But I'm guessing that's a tiny group across MLB to begin with.

I may have to do more research.  It has me thinking now.  I can think of a few that are pitching for other clubs right now and are doing better than when they pitched here.

5 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Darren O'Day maybe?

Andrew Cashner?

But seriously, if you believe you still "have it", what better place to prove it than playing for the O's, in Camden Yards, against the Yankees and Red Sox regularly. If you can pitch here, then you can pitch anywhere. Look at the many that have left here and knocked several runs off of their ERA.

According to John Heyman he was released so they would just have to give the prorated league minimum.

According to Jon Heyman of MLB Network, "no less than 11 clubs have inquired" about free agent reliever Cody Allen.

Allen was designated for assignment by the Angels on Saturday and then subsequently released this week after posting a 6.26 ERA, 1.91 WHIP, and 29/20 K/BB ratio across 23 innings of work for Anaheim. His struggles date back to last year with the Indians, but the former star closer can now be had for the MLB minimum salary and is sure to find a new home soon. He probably won't be getting more save chances, though.