2019-2020 International Signings Thread

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I said he wasn't allowed to spend freely last period, which I still believe.

I expected the level of commitment we've seen today.

You did say that often. I think he just had limited total cash on hand and decided to invest in off-the-field personnel and equipment. But I hear you. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I said he wasn't allowed to spend freely last period, which I still believe.

I think you are grasping here. I have seen no evidence of Mike Elias not having full unadulterated control. Good or bad. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

You did say that often. I think he just had limited total cash on hand and decided to invest in off-the-field personnel and equipment. But I hear you. 

I think the Orioles ALWAYS have a limited level of cash. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Effectively the same thing, and your take is probably more correct.  Full financial backing wasn't made available.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:32 PM, Obando said:

Mods, if you want to put this in a different section, feel free, but I thought we should start a thread devoted to the Orioles international signings for the 2019-2020 signing period.  This is so foreign to O’s fans, since the organization has never really been a player in the international market until now.  But we should have a place to discuss and analyze all of our international signings, just as we do for amateur draft picks.  

Now we just have to wait until tomorrow for the signings to start being announced and then we can get this party started.  Can’t wait for the names and details to start trickling in!

(Edited by moderators) Signings so far:

Luis Ortiz, lhp, Dominican Republic, $400,000
Anderson Rogers, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
Luis Gonzalez, of, Dominican Republic, $450,000
Charbel Abboud, rhp, Venezuela
Kenny Baez, c, Dominican Republic
Harold Arias, rhp, Venezuela
Roberto Martinez, ss, Dominican Republic, $200,000
Luis de la Cruz, of, Dominican Republic

Eric Cains, rhp, Dominican Republic

D-fHWkhXkAEk_Bo.jpg:large

Thanks. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

?

I strongly respect and enjoy most of your posts, but you deserve to get teased about the international signing stuff. You got very close to full on conspiracy theory level of negativity about the Orioles and the international market this spring. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how you can say that with Davis on the roster.

I've provided my reasoning on numerous occasions.

If you want to make it the final line of defense of your argument. I'll call your Davis. He'll be gone. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how you can say that with Davis on the roster.

I've provided my reasoning on numerous occasions.

Mike Elias simply does not need the roster space yet. And that is all he will ever save. Not one penny unless Chris uses again. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

I strongly respect and enjoy most of your posts, but you deserve to get teased about the international signing stuff. You got very close to full on conspiracy theory level of negativity about the Orioles and the international market this spring. 

I repped Drungo's comment earlier but frankly his was a bit more skilled than yours.  ?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, weams said:

If you want to make it the final line of defense of your argument. I'll call your Davis. He'll be gone. 

No final defense about it, I find the lack of International spending last season curious to say the least.  Late start or no.  I think last season's payroll had an impact.

Davis should already be gone, anyone lost off the 40 would provide less negative value than Davis.