Dwight Smith Jr. has crashed back to earth, it seems

interloper

.248/.301/.443/.743, -0.2 bWAR

Even Nunez has a positive WAR right now. 

This is a bummer! He's a good dude. Smith was killing it early on but the OBP has never really been there. I don't see any reason to NOT keep running him out there since that batting line is still a little useful if the power comes back, but it's looking less and less like the O's found themselves a legit ML outfielder on the waiver wire. Thoughts? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is a bummer! He's a good dude. Smith was killing it early on but the OBP has never really been there. I don't see any reason to NOT keep running him out there since that batting line is still a little useful if the power comes back, but it's looking less and less like the O's found themselves a legit ML outfielder on the waiver wire. Thoughts? 

I think that he is a decent placeholder for now. Never really thought he would sustain it long-term but hope he can cobble together a solid career. Seems like a good dude (as you said). 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Corn mentioned this the other day.  

Stewart is still trying to find his stroke in the GCL.  But when he does and plays a few good games at AAA he may give Smith some competition for left field.  Smith has options.

I was wondering if Smith’s injury is still bothering him.  He’s hitting .243/.326/.324 in 43 PA since his return from the IL.   However, he was hitting .114/.200/.314 in 40 PA before he went on the DL, so it looks like the injury merely interrupted a slump.   

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, .241/.276/.434 since playing the Orioles. I wish him luck but I would be shocked if he outperformed Smith Jr. over their respective careers.

Both are similar valued players though their strengths are in different parts of their respective games. Smith's well below average defense really hurts his overall profile. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Keep playing him. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I thought someone mentioned that Smith has a career minor league OPS of .750.  Often those things go down in the majors.

Archived