Mancini Drawing Interest

wildcard

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'd be interested in seeing a list of teams where Trey would be the starting 1B.

If we're limiting it to contending teams I'd say there are three and that's probably a stretch. 

Tampa 

Cleveland (could make an argument for shifting Santana to DH)

Boston (could make an argument they'd be better with Chavis as their full time 2B and Nunez as a supersub)

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think you are talking about contenders at the deadline.  This is not the question that modbdotcom asked.

So you are saying that Toronto would rather have Smoak than Mancini?

The Cards like the production they are getting from Carpenter at 1b?

KC has someone better than Mancini at 1B?

There are probably 5 more if I looked into it that would take Mancini over what they have at 1B.

So what? 1) are they the slightest bit interested in trading or Mancini? 2) would thy give anythingnfor him?

the Cards are stuck with Goldy regardless, but he’s almost certainly just dealing with a protracted slump.

sure, Mancini isn’t the worst 1B out there, maybe not even the worst RF out there( Not while Trumbo’s playing!) but so what? Which contending teams need what he has enough to make a meaningful offer?

we’ll see.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Choi doesn't hit left-handed pitching at all.  Maybe trade for Mancini and platoon them. 

This might be a fit, but only because Nate Lowe bats left-handed too. And the Rays desperately need another solid bat in their lineup. I feel like they'd be more inclined to trade for a cheaper alternative though. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This might be a fit, but only because Nate Lowe bats left-handed too. And the Rays desperately need another solid bat in their lineup. I feel like they'd be more inclined to trade for a cheaper alternative though. 

I have a hard time seeing them parting with a quality prospect for a guy coming up on arbitration as their whole strategy is to acquire a bunch of cheap players by trading away guys who are in their arbitration years. 

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

Whether he would be starting 1B is a question answered by the individual team. Is Tampa happy with Gi-Man Choi, for instance? Everybody has a 1B, but it’s the easiest position to man. How many teams have solid prospects waiting for next year. We don’t know. And so on. No one can adequately answer the question without a lot of research.

Just wait and see who calls. I think he should be traded, but I have no illusions about a glorious return.

If you limit it to teams that are contending for a playoff spot I think it's a pretty easy question to answer because it's a VERY short list.

Tampa (platoon with Choi)

Boston (move Chavis to 2B permanently).

Cleveland (move Santana to DH)

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If we're limiting it to contending teams I'd say there are three and that's probably a stretch. 

Tampa 

Cleveland (could make an argument for shifting Santana to DH)

Boston (could make an argument they'd be better with Chavis as their full time 2B and Nunez as a supersub)

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Choi doesn't hit left-handed pitching at all.  Maybe trade for Mancini and platoon them. 

Baltimore was quite happy carrying multiple designated hitters on the team(4?))I think most teams are smarter than that, and I’m positive the Tampa is smarter than that. The only reason they would take on Trey is if they completely got rid of Choi, And I don’t think they’re the least bit interested in doing that. Tampa is very good at versatile use of their guys, but they value defense and Mancini is limited enough that he would hinder that process.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I have a hard time seeing them parting with a quality prospect for a guy coming up on arbitration as their whole strategy is to acquire a bunch of cheap players by trading away guys who are in their arbitration years. 

I don't think they will either. Tampa's too smart to mortgage their future, especially when they have Nate Lowe waiting in the wings. Smoak would be a much better target for them because he'd be significantly cheaper since he's a pending FA. 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Baltimore was quite happy carrying multiple designated hitters on the team(4?))I think most teams are smarter than that, and I’m positive the Tampa is smarter than that. The only reason they would take on Trey is if they completely got rid of Choi, And I don’t think they’re the least bit interested in doing that. Tampa is very good at versatile use of their guys, but they value defense and Mancini is limited enough that he would hinder that process.

Tampa isn't even comfortable carrying one way players (i.e.,  McKay)! The people running that team are some of the best / most progressive minds in baseball. Implementing openers...drafting / developing two way players, etc. 

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If you limit it to teams that are contending for a playoff spot I think it's a pretty easy question to answer because it's a VERY short list.

The Red Sox have Mitch Morland and Brock Holt as well. I don't see them having a need for Mancini. 

Seems like the Indians are the most likely suitor.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Good breakdown. Our hopes have to be that TB feels this is their year to go for it and that Mancini is a need. In that situation we could get the LH 1B they have in AAA now(Lowe) and a SP like Shane Baz. 

Once you get passed the Mancini is the face of the franchise talk, the landing spots for him just aren’t abundant . 

Are Clev, Tex, and Oak, really “going for it” this year? Seems like two of BOS/NYY/TB will win the AL east and take up both WC spots. In a WC game would TB want Mancini to face Sale over the options they have?  They have a LH heavy lineup. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

The Red Sox have Mitch Morland and Brock Holt as well. I don't see them having a need for Mancini. 

Seems like the Indians are the most likely suitor.

...and the Sox are first in offense, so yeah you can cross them off the list. I also question whether or not Cleveland will actually still be contending in 2-3 weeks. That's a team that is definitely not one piece away from being good. They have more holes than a pound of swiss cheese. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good breakdown. Our hopes have to be that TB feels this is their year to go for it and that Mancini is a need. In that situation we could get the LH 1B they have in AAA now(Lowe) and a SP like Shane Baz. 

Once you get passed the Mancini is the face of the franchise talk, the landing spots for him just aren’t abundant . 

Are Clev, Tex, and Oak, really “going for it” this year? Seems like two of BOS/NYY/TB will win the AL east and take up both WC spots. In a WC game would TB want Mancini to face Sale over the options they have?  They have a LH heavy lineup. 

I think Smoak would be a much better / cheaper target for the Rays if they want a 1B upgrade. I see them as being more interested in a rental then a long term piece, with Nate Lowe ready to take over at 1B as early as next year. 

As for the other teams you mentioned, the A's have Davis/Olson so no fit there, I have my doubts about Cleveland being a contender, and Texas needs pitching MUCH more than they need another bat. They have the 6th best offense in baseball and can't even find playing time for top prospects like Willie Calhoun. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Tampa isn't even comfortable carrying one way players (i.e.,  McKay)! The people running that team are some of the best / most progressive minds in baseball. Implementing openers...drafting / developing two way players, etc. 

Yes exactly.  When we were going through our general managers search, I was very interested in hiring that woman who is assistant director of MLB operations, I can’t remember her name right now, but failing that, I was really interested in hiring away one of the higher ups in Houston or Tampa. The things that Tampa has been able to do despite their handicaps, is really quite impressive.

And as someone wrote at MLB trade rumors, in Tampa, “you can’t turn left without bumping into a quality reliever”