Gunnar Henderson 2019

AceKing

• 3 months later...

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/10/this-that-and-the-other-189.html

A scout from outside the organization who watched shortstop Gunnar Henderson in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League predicted that the second-round pick will move to second or third base “if the bat evolves.”

The scout sees tremendous upside with Henderson and notes the line-drive stroke, pull power and ability to use the middle of the field.

Henderson struggled a bit with off-speed stuff, which isn’t a surprising for an 18-year-old engaged in his first professional season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

.701 OPS in his pro debut from HS. Didn’t he start like 0-22?  Nice rebound. Is Delmarva too big of a jump?  Aberdeen next year?

He sounds very much like Ryan Mountcastle, at a high level at least. Profiles as a bat first guy who won't stick at short. With that said, hopefully he doesn't have an obviously deficient arm like Mountcastle. If he turns into a 3B eventually, which is what it sounds like to me, that bat could be a real plus. A ton of development between now and then though. I'd expect them to take it slow with him.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LookinUp said:

He sounds very much like Ryan Mountcastle, at a high level at least. Profiles as a bat first guy who won't stick at short. With that said, hopefully he doesn't have an obviously deficient arm like Mountcastle. If he turns into a 3B eventually, which is what it sounds like to me, that bat could be a real plus. A ton of development between now and then though. I'd expect them to take it slow with him.

From what I read today on another site, Henderson has a very strong arm.   It’s thought that he’ll get a little too big for SS, and be moved to 3B.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:58 AM, LookinUp said:

The BA write-up on him says he reminds them of Mountcastle with the bat and that he should be able to stick on the left side of the infield.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

The BA write-up on him says he reminds them of Mountcastle with the bat and that he should be able to stick on the left side of the infield.

A Mountcastle bat who can play left side of the infield is a very high bar. If he reaches that, we'll be very happy with this pick. 

• Upvote 4