Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here's hoping he sabotages the Sox pennant drive and returns to form.  I'll have felt like we made a great trade if Cashner goes to Boston, gets hammered around and ends up losing more than he wins.  

With Cashner in their rotation and Eovaldi soon to be their closer what could possibly go wrong?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Peter Angelos is very old.  If you were an owner who was in his mid 80s and a GM says if we sign this guy there is a 1 in 20 chance that he might help the team in 6 to 8 years what would you say.  Hey even I might get to be retired by the time these guys have any remote chance of helping the team,  

Peter Angelos isn't involved in decision-making anymore, as far as pretty much every report has said.

But I agree with you - and I totally see why they put all of their resources into the major league roster during the 2012-2016 stretch. Can't fault Angelos for wanting to try to win while he could. Illich and the Tigers did the same thing. It was fun while it lasted.

4 minutes ago, theocean said:

Peter Angelos isn't involved in decision-making anymore, as far as pretty much every report has said.

But I agree with you - and I totally see why they put all of their resources into the major league roster during the 2012-2016 stretch. Can't fault Angelos for wanting to try to win while he could. Illich and the Tigers did the same thing. It was fun while it lasted.

Pretty sure the TIgers haven't ignored the international market like the Orioles did.

Here's an article from 2016 for instance.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/lynn-henning/2016/07/04/henning-tigers-playing-cool-international-market/86692012/

They signed a 16-year-old shortstop from the Dominican Republic, Wenceel Perez, who was No. 23 on Baseball America’s list of Top 50 international targets. And on Monday morning, they signed a top Venezuelan target, outfielder Jhon Sandoval, who has right-handed power and speed, and who in tandem with Perez appears to have cost the Tigers a bit more than $1 million, total.

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

I’d sit Santander when Straily pitches, we can’t risk the optics of having our Venezuelan OF left to defend himself with only a glove with Dan on the mound. 

Fine, cuz you keep pressing this conspiracy theory of yours, I'll entertain you: What evidence do you have that the Cashner trade was made to increase our profile "below the equator" as you put it?

13 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

So this is just my open question, if you don’t know anything about the players coming back, how do you judge the return? I can’t judge the return. 

Of course you can’t. The only thing we know is our guys down there have had eyes on them and  then we can have trust in our guys and hope for the best.

I personally like the idea that we’re building a lower level foundation. These two guys will be put next to a bunch of other guys with potential. I assume some will turn into something. This move improves those odds.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

At that point what reason does anyone have to watch this team for the next several years?  

I honestly don’t understand why you don’t just check out for the next 2 years. Elias is clearly building a different way than you want. You might as well wait for the payoff because the process is driving you mad.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I honestly don’t understand why you don’t just check out for the next 2 years. Elias is clearly building a different way than you want. You might as well wait for the payoff because the process is driving you mad.

People who don't come to the realization that Elias and company were hired for a Houston-style full rebuild, and then don't come to terms with the two or three horrendously painful years of major-league level baseball that entails, are going to have a really tough time of things upcoming.  I agree, if they can't stomach this, it's probably in their best interest to find another hobby the next few seasons and check back later. 

This is a time where you take your enjoyment from watching the construction of the new building... not looking at the ground where the building is going to go and exasperatingly bemoan that it's empty right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

People who don't come to the realization that Elias and company were hired for a Houston-style full rebuild, and then don't come to terms with the two or three horrendously painful years of major-league level baseball that entails, are going to have a really tough time of things upcoming.  I agree, if they can't stomach this, it's probably in their best interest to find another hobby the next few seasons and check back later. 

This is a time where you take your enjoyment from watching the construction of the new building... not looking at the ground where the building is going to go and exasperatingly bemoan that it's empty right now. 

Altuve played on three 100+ loss teams in Houston.

He played 35 games at AA and 0 games in AAA before reaching the majors as a 21 year old.

This season would be more palatable to me if the team was more aggressive in their promotion of position players.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He played 35 games at AA and 0 games in AAA before reaching the majors as a 21 year old.

This season would be more palatable to me if the team was more aggressive in their promotion of position players.

Agree with you there.  That's part of the construction, and indeed, we've been lax there.  I'm hoping that starts to change a bit in the second half.  We have a few guys that don't have service clock concerns that we need to be looking at.

3 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Agree with you there.  That's part of the construction, and indeed, we've been lax there.  I'm hoping that starts to change a bit in the second half.  We have a few guys that don't have service clock concerns that we need to be looking at.

We have one guy that we should have service time concerns over.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have one guy that we should have service time concerns over.

That's what I'm talking about.  It's time to start clearing roster spots for them to play.  You can't look at this 25-man at the MLB level and not see several guys that could be trimmed right off to make room.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Houston is also a large market team and knew they could lock him up...

27 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I mean they certainly want to improve the level of international talent.  But whether that is tied to optics, we have no idea.  Though I do suppose some of these kids know each other or have the same managers, so it's connected in that way.  But I don't think this trade was purely to increase our profile in Latin American markets.