I still don't understand why we haven't seen Mason Williams

interloper

Keon is not good and probably would slip right through waivers and accept a AAA assignment. You could effectively swap the guys and see if you have anything at all in Williams. Even with Hays likely coming up soon, it would be nice to have a true 4th outfielder who can play CF and it certainly seems like Williams could be that. 

His career ML .721 OPS actually seems downright useful compared to Broxton's .693. Plus he's shown the ability to get on base a little bit. 

It's not a huge deal, I just think it's kind of curious. Broxton is a complete non-factor out there. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Keon is not good and probably would slip right through waivers and accept a AAA assignment. You could effectively swap the guys and see if you have anything at all in Williams. Even with Hays likely coming up soon, it would be nice to have a true 4th outfielder who can play CF and it certainly seems like Williams could be that. 

His career ML .721 OPS actually seems downright useful compared to Broxton's .693. Plus he's shown the ability to get on base a little bit. 

It's not a huge deal, I just think it's kind of curious. Broxton is a complete non-factor out there. 

I don't think 28 points of OPS is all that big a gap.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think 28 points of OPS is all that big a gap.

It's not, but I mean Keon cannot even make contact with the ball. When he does, sometimes it leaves the yard which is the only reason his career OPS is as high as it is.

This season? .558. That's worse than Chris Davis. When you're worse than Chris Davis, it's time to make a change. Williams is killing it in AAA which is not easy to do, it's time to at least try a guy who can make contact with the ball. 

Not that it matters because the quest is that #1 pick. But he would be more interesting to watch. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

It's not, but I mean Keon cannot even make contact with the ball. When he does, sometimes it leaves the yard which is the only reason his career OPS is as high as it is.

This season? .558. That's worse than Chris Davis. When you're worse than Chris Davis, it's time to make a change. Williams is killing it in AAA which is not easy to do, it's time to at least try a guy who can make contact with the ball. 

Not that it matters because the quest is that #1 pick. But he would be more interesting to watch. 

Hays would be more interesting to watch.

All the various filler guys?  Meh.

• Upvote 2

I've also been advocating for this move for a couple months as well.  At least it would reinforce the point that if you don't make adjustments and cut down on low Baseball IQ plays, you will be moved out.  I'm ready to move on from Broxton.

This would also allow for Mullins to come back up to AAA.  I'd like to see Mullins "find it" again at AAA and get back up here in September for one last shot. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Hays would be more interesting to watch.

All the various filler guys?  Meh.

Yeah obviously we all want to see Hays. In the OP I do argue for both Hays and Williams being on the roster. There will be room once Villar is traded and Wilkerson can take over infield duties. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's worse than Chris Davis. When you're worse than Chris Davis, it's time to make a change.

Chris Davis has finally found his new role!  He is the litmus paper test for our Inventory season!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think you will find that Williams range in CF is no  where near what Broxton offers.  Williams has played a corner  OF spot most of the season because Mullins has more range in center.    Broxton probably has more range than Mullins.

No probably about it.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think you will find that Williams range in CF is no  where near what Broxton offers.  Williams has played a corner  OF spot most of the season because Mullins has more range in center.    Broxton probably has more range than Mullins.

Fair enough, but my dude they are playing Santander and Wilkerson in CF. I'm not super worried about range, just someone who has a chance to get on base.

But I think probably they are just biding their time for Hays and Stewart, which is sensible. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Fair enough, but my dude they are playing Santander and Wilkerson in CF. I'm not super worried about range, just someone who has a chance to get on base.

But I think probably they are just biding their time for Hays and Stewart, which is sensible. 

Sadly I think that if they thought Stewart was an answer they wouldn't have sent him down again.

Does he have the ability to play CF defensively in the majors? I'm looking at his numbers last year and he only played CF in 48 out of the 254 innings he played defensively. That is in spite of the fact that Billy Hamilton put up a horrible .236/.299/.327 line at the plate last year with the Reds.