I still don't understand why we haven't seen Mason Williams

interloper

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Jace had 18 starts in August. 

Williams should have been here a month ago. We carried 2 utility players and no real CF for a month. 

It’s silly I guess on some levels to even talk about all this but it makes no sense to me. 

He's 27 and his minor league OPS is .724.  He has 35% of his career homers this year with the new super bounce ball.  He probably didn't get a call up previously because he's a 27-year-old who looks like he'll OPS about .650 in the majors.

Jace Peterson, Joey Rickard, Stevie Wilkerson, Chance Sisco, Dwight Smith Jr, and DJ Stewart all OPS'd over .800 at Norfolk this year.  Some waaay over.  Remember Reuben Tejada, Norfolks' shortstop for much of last year (OPS .590), played 41 games for the '17 O's (OPS'd .576)?  Yea, he OPS'd .875 in the IL this year.  

I hope Williams does well, but putting up a .310/.370/.475 line in the IL is only slightly harder than walking and chewing gum at the same time.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 27 and his minor league OPS is .724.  He has 35% of his career homers this year with the new super bounce ball.  He probably didn't get a call up previously because he's a 27-year-old who looks like he'll OPS about .650 in the majors.

Jace Peterson, Joey Rickard, Stevie Wilkerson, Chance Sisco, Dwight Smith Jr, and DJ Stewart all OPS'd over .800 at Norfolk this year.  Some waaay over.  Remember Reuben Tejada, Norfolks' shortstop for much of last year (OPS .590), played 41 games for the '17 O's (OPS'd .576)?  Yea, he OPS'd .875 in the IL this year.  

I hope Williams does well, but putting up a .310/.370/.475 line in the IL is only slightly harder than walking and chewing gum at the same time.

But...what if he put up that same stat line while chewing gum?

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I was more interested in seeing an actual OF play the OF. Whatever bat he brings is a bonus. 

I know in a year like this it is a not a big deal. 

49 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yeah, it’s really tough to translate anything from the IL to MLB now.   But at least Williams has played a lot of CF.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I agree Jace was one of the weirder things this season. Seemed to me like he was place-holding for Stewart, but then he stuck once Stewart was up. Then he stuck once Ruiz was back, so he REALLY didn't have a position to play. But he had a good season for Norfolk and I didn't ultimately mind that we gave him some ML time. It's the right time for the DFA now, for sure. 

I think he stuck because he was a backup infielder and we turned our REAL backup infielder, Wilkerson, into a semi-regular centerfielder.

Not saying that was smart, but that seems to be what happened.

I'm definitely on the side of "shoulda been called up earlier".  I get the arguments about his MiL history and the juiced IL ball.  But he does have some ML numbers (426 PA) that aren't horrible (.721 OPS). And he is an actual center fielder.  I'm not sure why we didn't bring him up instead of throwing Wilkerson and Santander in CF for 2-3 months. I don't think we need guys to be .900 OPS potential guys before we bring them up.

1 hour ago, Slappy said:

I'm definitely on the side of "shoulda been called up earlier".  I get the arguments about his MiL history and the juiced IL ball.  But he does have some ML numbers (426 PA) that aren't horrible (.721 OPS). And he is an actual center fielder.  I'm not sure why we didn't bring him up instead of throwing Wilkerson and Santander in CF for 2-3 months. I don't think we need guys to be .900 OPS potential guys before we bring them up.

The only thing I can think of is, Santander and Wilkerson are both switch hitters, so there was more flexibility.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not this year he can't.  Not when Jace Peterson out-hits you by like 150 points of OPS.

I like that we gave Peterson a look. He OPS’d over .900. He’s been around the org a couple of years now. He can play 3B. 

Wilkerson has been alright in CF. We just shouldn’t play him vs LHP. So Wilkerson held Williams down more than Peterson. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like that we gave Peterson a look. He OPS’d over .900. He’s been around the org a couple of years now. He can play 3B. 

Wilkerson has been alright in CF. We just shouldn’t play him vs LHP. So Wilkerson held Williams down more than Peterson. 

Peterson is exactly what we thought he was after another look, a AAAA player.

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Peterson is exactly what we thought he was after another look, a AAAA player.

We’ve been playing .330 ball for 2+ seasons. We wish we had more 4A players. 

Williams wasn’t playing a lot of CF in AAA this year. Probably because of Hays, but I hope Williams can. Even if he could platoon with Wilkerson next year. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve been playing .330 ball for 2+ seasons. We wish we had more 4A players. 

Williams wasn’t playing a lot of CF in AAA this year. Probably because of Hays, but I hope Williams can. Even if he could platoon with Wilkerson next year. 

I hope Wilkerson is not on the team. He is not a CF and we have plenty of COF guys already.