I still don't understand why we haven't seen Mason Williams

interloper

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sadly I think that if they thought Stewart was an answer they wouldn't have sent him down again.

Well, I think they are just waiting for Hays and some trades maybe. Santander is playing well and they apparently are hesitant to option DSJ just yet. There's also a chance they want him to just get more ABs after the brief ML struggle and injury. Elias and Co. seem to have a VERY strict/lengthy rehab thing going. 

Or, you know, they like him but they want to make sure the team sucks as much as possible. Lol. Only a little kidding there. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I thought that back in the spring.

This group does not seem high on him.  

I just don't know that I buy this theory. In one sense, leaving him down to fully dominate AAA could be seen as them really liking him as a player and wanting him to fully develop. 

They called him up on May 28 and optioned Evan Philips, so he was up before June, which in hindsight seems pretty quick. He then got 20 AB in which he did basically nothing although he did hit 2 home runs, before getting injured. 

Since then, DSJ had the concussion and Santander has filled in admirably enough to warrant him staying on the roster. DSJ is cratering, and let's see what happens there. 

I think the O's are fine to let Stewart get back on a roll in AAA before coming up again, probably at the expense of DSJ eventually. I don't think any of this means they aren't high on him, just that they're in no rush. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just don't know that I buy this theory. In one sense, leaving him down to fully dominate AAA could be seen as them really liking him as a player and wanting him to fully develop. 

They called him up on May 28 and optioned Evan Philips, so he was up before June, which in hindsight seems pretty quick. He then got 20 AB in which he did basically nothing although he did hit 2 home runs, before getting injured. 

Since then, DSJ had the concussion and Santander has filled in admirably enough to warrant him staying on the roster. DSJ is cratering, and let's see what happens there. 

I think the O's are fine to let Stewart get back on a roll in AAA before coming up again, probably at the expense of DSJ eventually. I don't think any of this means they aren't high on him, just that they're in no rush. 

It struck me how fast they sent him down this spring, despite playing well. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It struck me how fast they sent him down this spring, despite playing well. 

Wouldn't you do that with the guys you've already made up your mind that you want to develop? 

I don't know what about Stewart would put a guy like Elias off any more than, say, Santander. Stewart is obviously the more skilled player overall. He's faster, he gets on base, he hits for power.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Wouldn't you do that with the guys you've already made up your mind that you want to develop? 

I don't know what about Stewart would put a guy like Elias off any more than, say, Santander. Stewart is obviously the more skilled player overall. He's faster, he gets on base, he hits for power.

I would like to think I wouldn't have made my mind up that quickly considering how he played last September and this spring.

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I thought that back in the spring.

This group does not seem high on him.  

Stewart didn't look very good in his brief time up here. His bat speed looked slow and he was rolling over on a lot of balls. I still would like to give him an extended look over the DSJs over the world. 

1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Stewart didn't look very good in his brief time up here. His bat speed looked slow and he was rolling over on a lot of balls. I still would like to give him an extended look over the DSJs over the world. 

He looked fine in 2018, in a larger sample size.  Twenty-four at bats sure isn't much to go on.

My main point with Stewart is that I don't think additional time in AAA will be beneficial.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not chomping at the bit to make this change but I've seen enough of Broxton.  Seems like a good, likable dude and I think he can run like the wind but with him, Martin and Davis in the lineup, that's like 9 automatic outs.  

Broxton's AAA OPS: 807, overall minor league: .754
Williams: .714, .725

When you're 27 and you have a .714 minor league OPS I'm going to guess you're ending up somewhere in the .600s in the majors.  Broxton's MLB OPS is only 20 points shy of Williams' AAA.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, interloper said:

It's not, but I mean Keon cannot even make contact with the ball. When he does, sometimes it leaves the yard which is the only reason his career OPS is as high as it is.

This season? .558. That's worse than Chris Davis. When you're worse than Chris Davis, it's time to make a change. Williams is killing it in AAA which is not easy to do, it's time to at least try a guy who can make contact with the ball. 

Not that it matters because the quest is that #1 pick. But he would be more interesting to watch. 

I've been watching Williams play RF in Norfolk and he does a pretty good job over there. Probably a step down defensively from Broxton in CF since Broxton is actually one of the best defensive CFers in the game, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Williams could do. 

Broxton seems like a first class guy, but he really is quite the zero with the bat and is clearly not part of the future. williams may not be either, but I'd be willing to see what he looked like.

• Upvote 2