Tanner Scott

weams

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

There's an article in today's Sun http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-pitching-development-0721-story.html on the O's working on Scott and Liranzo to be starters - given the organization's obvious derth in starters.  And they're considering doing the same with Castro next Spring.  It's about 2 steps: 1 is each of them developing a 3rd pitch, and 2 is stretching out their arms so they can eventually go 5 plus innings.  Scott is now a 4 inning pitcher and working on that slider.  Liranzo's had 6 starts, and the O's seem happy with his improvement - after he disappointed as a reliever.  Gotta give the O's credit for thinking outside the box on these talented arms.    

I figured having them be three inning guys was thinking outside the box.  Being desperate enough to try and turn minor league relievers into starters seems to be something else entirely.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I figured having them be three inning guys was thinking outside the box.  Being desperate enough to try and turn minor league relievers into starters seems to be something else entirely.

Miguel Castro was thought of as a guy that could be in the rotation in both TOR and COL at one point. Not sure why they switched course but I don't blame them. He's still 21/22 yrs old.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if they don't end up as starters, will this strategy end up hurting them?  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty good outing, despite 3 walks: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K's.    Threw 57 pitches in 3 innings, so I don't know if they might have had him pitch a 4th inning if he'd been more efficient.  

I think they pulled him in the low 60s last game, so maybe 60 pitches is their comfort level currently.

o

Although Scott pitched 3.33 innings of no-hit ball, he also walked 2 batters and had a very sub-par Strikes-to-Ball ratio (26 Strikes, 25 Balls.

Also, the game was suspended with one of Scott's baserunners on 2nd base and only one out, so his runs allowed and his ERA are still pending

10 OUTS: )  6 Groundouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts

TANNER ALEXANDER SCOTT ))))))  (vs. AA-Akron, 7/27)

IP:;)..l) 3.33))

H:))ll.)  0 ll 

R:l))l.lll 0 ) *

BB:lllll)

SO:l)l.l 2

Pitches: l) 51 )(26 )Strikes, )25 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  1.83 )(AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.271 )(AA-Bowie) )  59.00 IP  (75 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .174 )(AA-Bowie) )  35 for 201

* ) One of Scott's baserunners is still on 2nd base with one out, as the game has been suspended.

PITCHES BY INNING 

14 ll(9 llStrikes, l5 llllBalls)

15 lll(8 llStrikes, l7 llllBalls)

11 lll(5 llStrikes, ll 6 llllBalls)

11 lll(4 lllStrikes, lll7 llllBalls) ) **

** ) Scott recorded 1 out before departing in the 4th inning.

o

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Although Scott pitched 3.33 innings of no-hit ball, he also walked 2 batters and had a very sub-par Strikes-to-Ball ratio (26 Strikes, 25 Balls.

Also, the game was suspended with one of Scott's baserunners on 3rd base and only one out, so his runs allowed and his ERA are still pending

10 OUTS: )  6 Groundouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts

TANNER ALEXANDER SCOTT ))))))  (vs. AA-Akron, 7/27)

IP:;)..l) 3.33))

H:))ll.)  0 ll 

R:l))l.lll 0 ) *

BB:lllll)

SO:l)l.l 2

Pitches: l) 51 )(26 )Strikes, )25 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  1.83 )(AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.271 )(AA-Bowie) )  59.00 IP  (75 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .174 )(AA-Bowie) )  35 for 201

* ) One of Scott's baserunners is still on 3rd base with one out, as the game has been suspended.

PITCHES BY INNING 

14 ll(9 llStrikes, l5 llllBalls)

15 lll(8 llStrikes, l7 llllBalls)

11 lll(5 llStrikes, ll 6 llllBalls)

11 lll(4 lllStrikes, lll7 llllBalls) ) **

** ) Scott recorded 1 out before departing in the 4th inning.

o

I'm worried about him. When he's off...oy vey

On 7/20/2017 at 1:33 PM, Ruzious said:

There's an article in today's Sun http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-pitching-development-0721-story.html on the O's working on Scott and Liranzo to be starters - given the organization's obvious derth in starters.  And they're considering doing the same with Castro next Spring.  It's about 2 steps: 1 is each of them developing a 3rd pitch, and 2 is stretching out their arms so they can eventually go 5 plus innings.  Scott is now a 4 inning pitcher and working on that slider.  Liranzo's had 6 starts, and the O's seem happy with his improvement - after he disappointed as a reliever.  Gotta give the O's credit for thinking outside the box on these talented arms.    

Or, are they wasting time on guys who should be relievers because they don't have the command or consistent off speed stuff to be starters? There are only so many bullets in those arms. i have no problem with the three inning stints to help them develop pitches and allow for side work between "starts", but trying to extend them into starters doesn't make a lot of sense if you ask me. Both of these guys have a chance to be power relievers if they can command their stuff better. Trying to extend them out just lengthens the development time on the slim chance they come together.  

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Or, are the wasting time on guys who should be relievers because they don't have the command or consistent off speed stuff to be starters? There are only so many bullets in those arms. i have no problem with the three inning stints to help them develop pitches and allow for side work between "starts", but trying to extend them into starters doesn't make a lot of sense if you ask me. Both of these guys have a chance to be power relievers if they can command their stuff better. Trying to extend them out just lengthens the development time on the slim chance they come together.  

All 3 are major long shots to be able to start.  Liranzo especially is particularly baffling to me, I can't imagine any scout looking at that delivery and say "that's a possible starter".