Poll: Which Orioles player will get dealt in the next 10 days?

Greg Pappas

Which Orioles player will get dealt in the next 10 days?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Which Orioles player will get dealt in the next 10 days?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/26/19 at 16:00

Villar is 100% gone for whatever we can get. He’s likely going to get around $8 million in arb next year. He’s going to be non tendered either way.

Too many teams need bullpen help. There’s 7 teams in the race in the AL. 9 in the NL. The top teams will get the top names like they always do. Givens is an attractive option to Minn, Clev, Oak, TB, MIL, especially. He’s relatively cheap and has 2.5 years of control left. 

14 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Givens and Villar to the Rangers

Givens I could understand (they could use the bullpen help), but with Andrus and Odor penciled into their starting lineup Villar doesn't make sense. Villar doesn't make sense for 90% of contending teams. Teams aren't going to want a utility guy that plays mediocre defense. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Villar is 100% gone for whatever we can get. He’s likely going to get around $8 million in arb next year. He’s going to be non tendered either way.

Too many teams need bullpen help. There’s 7 teams in the race in the AL. 9 in the NL. The top teams will get the top names like they always do. Givens is an attractive option to Minn, Clev, Oak, TB, MIL, especially. He’s relatively cheap and has 2.5 years of control left. 

I just don't see there being a market for Villar. 

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I just don't see there being a market for Villar. 

I think he has value, especially in the National League. He has some power, is solid defensively at second and can play shortstop in a pinch without killing your defense though he is definitely below average at short. He has an .844 OPS over the last 26 games (fun with arbitrary end points!). He will earn under $1.75 million over the rest of the season, so he won't kill a team's budget. To me he is an ideal rental for a team that is trying to get over the hump.

Fangraphs has him projected to be worth 0.5 WAR for the remainder of the season, that is decent value for $1.75 million and a middling prospect or two.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I think he has value, especially in the National League. He has some power, is solid defensively at second and can play shortstop in a pinch without killing your defense though he is definitely below average at short. He has an .844 OPS over the last 26 games (fun with arbitrary end points!). He will earn under $1.75 million over the rest of the season, so he won't kill a team's budget. To me he is an ideal rental for a team that is trying to get over the hump.

Last week I looked at the possible buyers and I didn't see a single NL team where Villar would be an upgrade at 2B. You don't realize how mediocre he really is until you look at the other players at his position. I think someone mentioned the Giants earlier as a possible landing spot, but that's probably. it. 

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Givens I could understand (they could use the bullpen help), but with Andrus and Odor penciled into their starting lineup Villar doesn't make sense. Villar doesn't make sense for 90% of contending teams. Teams aren't going to want a utility guy that plays mediocre defense. 

Odor has been terrible this year. Like Chris Davis terrible.

19 hours ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Gut feeling: no one. 

Maaayyyybe Mychal (which would hurt personally, as he's a favorite), but I suspect they may hang on and see if they can get a bit more in the offseason.

This is what I'm thinking too.

I think Mancini could stick around for this whole rebuild and could be on the next playoff team.  I know that's not a popular prediction.

26 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Last week I looked at the possible buyers and I didn't see a single NL team where Villar would be an upgrade at 2B. You don't realize how mediocre he really is until you look at the other players at his position. I think someone mentioned the Giants earlier as a possible landing spot, but that's probably. it. 

He would be an upgrade for the Nationals over Brian Dozier. He would be a huge upgrade for Arizona if they decide to go for it (they currently have 45.8 percent odds to make the playoffs per Baseball Reference) over Ildemaro Vargas and Wilmer Flores. Plus the Giants, although I doubt the Giants are buyers at this point.

43 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He would be an upgrade for the Nationals over Brian Dozier. He would be a huge upgrade for Arizona if they decide to go for it (they currently have 45.8 percent odds to make the playoffs per Baseball Reference) over Ildemaro Vargas and Wilmer Flores. Plus the Giants, although I doubt the Giants are buyers at this point.

The already have an upgrade over Dozier in Kendrick. They just need to commit to playing him full time. And at what position for the D-Backs? I believe they've been playing Lamb at 3B and Escobar at 2B lately and I think we can all agree that Villar isn't a MLB quality SS. I also don't see the D-Backs being buyers. There's been too much talk of players they're willing to sell like Greinke. 

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Which of these teams needs a 2B or an $8 M UTIF in order to make the playoffs?

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The already have an upgrade over Dozier in Kendrick. They just need to commit to playing him full time. And at what position for the D-Backs? I believe they've been playing Lamb at 3B and Escobar at 2B lately and I think we can all agree that Villar isn't a MLB quality SS. I also don't see the D-Backs being buyers. There's been too much talk of players they're willing to sell like Greinke. 

They can’t play Kendrick full time, his legs need rest to stay effective.  Any upgrade by Villar is marginal and they wouldn’t have room on the bench for Dozier — they also wouldn’t cut him.  Their obvious need is their bullpen, that’s where they’ll spend resources.  Not infield.

52 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Which of these teams needs a 2B or an $8 M UTIF in order to make the playoffs?

He is only about $2M the rest of this year, after which he could be nontendered. Think of him as a guy like Michael Bourn, not someone who wins you the pennant singlehandedly but gives you some versatility, insurance against injuries, etc. (Of course I would expect a similar to return to what we gave up for Bourn).

Tampa - Wendle is hitting .202

Astros - He played with them before and Altuve has had trouble with injuries this year. Villar could be good insurance as well as Utility/PH/PR role.

Indians - Kipnis has been pretty bad, plus Villar could play a role as pinch runner, help rest Lindor etc.

Rangers - They are not in that group but they still have a chance. Odor has been awful.

A's - Profar is hitting .212/.276.

Giants - Villar would be a slight upgrade over Panik with the bat plus brings the speed game which plays in the NL. Crawford has also been pretty bad.

• Upvote 1